Home Forums General Discussion Longest on Mino.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hello to all, just curious of who has been on Mino for a long time like over 10 years and your results and if you have had any side effects? How you are doing presently and if you had peeks and valleys and had to tweek the protocol. Thanks in advance

Chris

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Chris;
    You have not put any info about yourself below your post so I have no idea about which disease you have.I have been on mino and other antibiotics off and on for the latter for 19+ years.Only drawback has been discolouration around lips and eyebrows probably because I never think to take a good vit.C dose every day.Only other thing I take is 100billion probiotic evryday if I think of it so now I keep it in the fridge at eye level.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I’ve lost track of how long I’ve been in mino…over 10 years for sure. I only had one relapse and it was due in part, I think, to a change in the mino brand that the pharmacy made on me. I had no idea it would make such a difference but it did. Anyhow a change to another generic brand (the original one was temporarily unavailable) and almost 2 years after that relapse I’m pretty much back to where I was…”in remission” though I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get off of the mino. I take a very low dose 100mg every other day and I take it with food. “Your mileage may vary”

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Chris
    Participant

Hi Lynne, I am sorry. I have had RA for about 10 years maybe longer, who really knows. Been on Mino for about 8 years. Been doing pretty good till a few months ago and started to flare, but got lazy I think and wasn’t eating right and drinking too much beer. The last 3 months I have cleaned up my diet and stopped alcohol. But am thinking about changing Mino as I am on a generic version. How do I get the non-generic if insurance wont pay for it? Also was curious about if anybody else was having any blueing of the nails as my thumbs are showing a tint of blue and I read it is a side affect of Mino.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi Chris. I started mino in the fall of 2007, so I am at 11 1/2 years now. I did have some additional problems with erosions in my hands in 2012, so I went to see an AP physician in California, and he increased my dose to 200mg, MWF. I have been on that since, though my new physician in Chicago wants me to begin cutting that back — she has given me a lot of supplements and I now eat a very clean low carb/no sugar diet. I am doing well. I am treating a bad knee right now but it’s a sprained MCL, not an RA issue.

I take 2 grams of vitamin C close to every day — and had a little bluing in my lower legs. But like Richie, I don’t care. I am grateful that I can move and enjoy life.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Chris
    Participant

Bonnielou, Hello and thanks for sharing. I have been on AP for about 8 years but was real lacks on my diet. Too much junk food and drank too much alcohol. I have started a cleaner diet also , cutting out all gluten and sugar, dairy and most processed foods, no alcohol or coffee. My labs have been good. Just wondering what your diet is and how clean are you eating and is it helping. Thanks

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.