Home Forums General Discussion LDN and Thyroid

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Been a while since posting. I hope everyone that reads this is keeping well and safe from COVID-19. I’m writing on behalf of my mother in law, who recently was fortunate enough to visit the USA to see Dr M in CT. It was really great, and sometime soon we will post a more thorough update. However for now, a bit of advice is needed if anyone can help.

She has been taking LDN for almost 3 months now, hasn’t increased the dose from 1.5mg. The past few weeks she has been feeling ‘odd’… a bit dizzy, increases appetite, trouble falling asleep etc. We are aware that LDN can cause the thyroid to start producing it’s own hormone again. She is taking Levothyroxine, and some of the symptoms she has been feeling seem to coincide with hyperthyroidism.

The doctor who prescribed her LDN originally did say if she ever starts feeling ‘weird’, she should get thyroid levels checked. However with the quarantined all over, it’s totally inappropriate to go anywhere.

What should we do? We are in no place to experiment, but we want to help her feel better. Should be stop the LDN to see if she feels better? Or maybe decrease her thyroid med a bit to see if she feels better?

Thank you everyone, and once again I hope everybody is keeping safe.

---

Here for my Mother In Law.

Scleroderma 30+ years, Lyme/Bartonella (perhaps 30+ years too, diagnosed in October 2019), Hypothyroid, Anemia (of chronic diseases we think?), Neuropathy, Mini-stroke/brain lesions Oct 2019, Candida.

Current Meds:
    **Minocin 100mg x2 day, every day. **Rifampin 300mg 1x day MWF. **75mcg Levothyroxine. **5mg Prednisone. **Clopidogrel 75mg. **300mg Fluconazole every Sunday. **300mg Gabapentin. **LDN 4.5mg.

Current Supps:
    Vitamin B-complex, C, D, E. Potassium Glucona

Linda L
    Participant

What time does she take LDN and what time does she go to bed? How much thyroid medication does she take and what is her weight?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Linda L
    Participant

How long has she been taking Levothyroxine?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Linda L
    Participant

Maybe I can help a little bit because I also take LDN and thyroid medication. My doc a very experienced in thyroid issues has just sent me a list of symptoms of over medication. Here is the list:
    Elevated pulse and blood pressure,
    anxiety, nervous energy, tremors,
    Feeling irritable, over emotional, erratic or depressed,
    Difficulty concentrating,
    Difficulty sleeping,
    Fatigue,
    Feeling overheated, even when others feel cold,
    Diarrhea,
    Feeling like your heart is skipping a beat or racing,
    Weight loss with no change in your diet/exercise routine,
    Increase in food intake with no weight gain.
    Paradoxically in some cases symptoms of being over medicated can be similar to those when you are hypothyroid. You may feel more exhausted than usual, or achy and if you have a flue, you may even put on weight. It happens also that a person goes to the doctor to get tested, certain that she requires more medication , only do discover that she is over medicated.
    If the above symptoms occur, stop the medication immediately and contact me.
    All above is from my doctor.
    From my experience I know that I was dizzy when I had too much LDN. Due to the situation I would suggest:
    1. Don’t let her watch TV about Coronavirus after 4 pm and even earlier not much,
    2. Let her take LDN every second day, not everyday and see how she feels.
    I hope it helps.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Spiffy1

I suggest talking with a doctor before making any changes to her medicine. I wonder if there is a phlebotomist willing to make house calls?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all your replies. We eventually got her blood taken from home, and the results that came back have led to a whole host of new enquiries! It turns out her Thyroid is a little low, so we are going to discuss with her Endocrinologist next time we can get to them what the next steps should be..

We experimented with LDN dosing/times of dosage, and no dosage(!) and the dizziness remained the same. She is also anaemic, so we have a feeling that this is probably the cause. That combined with certain other meds such as Clopidogrel and Fluconazole seem to increase the amount of dizziness she experiences.

I am starting a new thread based on the other findings of the bloodwork, as all has become a bit complicated! Thank as ever for your support!!

---

Scleroderma 30+ years, Lyme/Bartonella (perhaps 30+ years too, diagnosed in October 2019), Hypothyroid, Anemia (of chronic diseases we think?), Neuropathy, Mini-stroke/brain lesions Oct 2019, Candida.

Current Meds:
    **Minocin 100mg x2 day, every day. **Rifampin 300mg 1x day MWF. **75mcg Levothyroxine. **5mg Prednisone. **Clopidogrel 75mg. **300mg Fluconazole every Sunday. **300mg Gabapentin. **LDN 4.5mg.

Current Supps:

Linda L
    Participant

Steve,
    Do you know the level of her vitamin B 12?

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Hi Linda,

Yes her B12 levels came back as good (680pg/mL, ref 193-982pg/mL).

Really it seems that the anaemia and the thyroid could both be the culprits, which will hopefully be something reasonably easily resolvable…! Thanks for your support and posts, hope you’re staying well.

---

Current Meds:

Current Supps:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.