Home Forums General Discussion LDN and Right Heart Catheterization

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I'm not sure exactly why I'm asking this question here except that I'm already on this site and I know some people here are using LDN (low dose naltrexone) and have had a right heart catheterization (RHC) to check pulmonary pressure, so I figured why not?

I might need to get a RHC and I want to know if anyone that has had it has also been on LDN and if so, for how long did you discontinue it before the procedure? Because I know that opioids and perhaps some numbing agents won't work if you are on LDN. Of course I'll ask my pulmonary doctor, who I haven't met yet, but heck, most of them don't even know what LDN is and the guy doing the RHC most likely won't. So any advice?

ideamktg
    Keymaster

Hi redrock,

I've never had an RHC procedure done, or have been on LDN. Will you be awake during this procedure? I remember getting a portable catheter placed right under the skin of my left chest, and before they sedated me, the anesthesiologist came to meet me and he was able to answer all my medication questions. After I no longer needed the port-a-cath, I remember my doctor saying “Oh, just come to my office and we'll take it out.” Good Lord! What a mistake! because I have scleroderma, I formed some serious superglue-like scar tissue around that thing. Ouch. Hope this helps… Annie

PS Would LDN enhance the effects of opioids?

Alli
    Participant

Hi Red Rock,

I had a right heart cath done a couple of years ago.  I was not on LDN or much of any type of medicine at the time – Nexium was probably the biggie.  I was awake during the procedure and I pedaled a bike during the procedure.  They wanted to monitor the pressures with and without exertion.  Everything went well, it was all over within an hour. 

They started the catheter in my neck and I was able to watch as they guided it to my lung/heart (wherever it had to be to check pressures).  The only sign I had at the site of insertion was a little red dot which went away after a week.  I may be getting another one done this fall and I'm looking forward to it.  It would be great to see if my pressures got better after being on the minocycline for nearly a year.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for noted medical improvement!

After the RHC and diagnosis of APH, I was prescribed Cellcept and Tracleer. In November of 2009, after seeing Dr. S we added minocycline to the mix.

Good luck with your procedure.

Take care…….Alli

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ LDN and Right Heart Catheterization’ is closed to new replies.