Home Forums General Discussion Just found out about AP- any advice?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CaraF
    Participant

I was diagnosed with RA when I was 16 years old. I am now a senior and college. I have always been told about the adverse effects that methotrexate and plaquenil could potentially cause my body but I never investigated much until now. I have been reading testimonials and searching various topics on this website and I am so eager to speak with my Rheumatologist.

I am nervous that he will not be for the treatment as I have been successful with methotrexate and plaquenil for many years.

Any advice for me?

Cara

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hi Cara…

Welcome to RB!!

I’ve only been here a short time myself and I’m still reading and learning. I started taking Minocycline about a month ago, so far I’m doing good with it.

I just wanted to mentioned that If you haven’t read the posting that I posted about a month or so ago, there maybe some helpful information there that I received when I asked the same question.

https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7860

Good Luck and Take Care!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cara,

In general, rheumatologists are the worst doctors to see for antibiotic therapy (AT). They tend to be hostile toward it, and even if you find one who agrees to let you try it, his or her knowledge and experience (with AT) is likely to be lacking. It’s not an ideal situation, but it can work, especially for the patient who is willing and able to become his or her own doctor.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Cara and welcome. You’ll find some general advice in the Disclaimer and Guidelines announcement post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1

Agree with Phil’s comments about rheumatologists. This subject is also well explained in The New Arthritis Breakthrough. And agree that the absolute best thing you can do for yourself, should you choose this approach to treatment, is to educate yourself as much as possible so that you can partner with any docs and become the CEO of your own road to greater wellbeing.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

dixiegirl
    Participant

I just started minocycline a month ago… I have never felt so awesome since before I got RA at age 17, three years ago! Still visibly swollen in some joints, but totally loose all the time… no stiffness! Yipeee!! God was good to me, bringing me across “the road back”!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.