Home Forums General Discussion Itching!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kater
    Participant

Hi all,
    Lately I have been having problems with itching in my skin–particularly the soles of my feet and my back. Sometimes I can’t sleep because of it and such an awful feeling. My skin looks fine, not particularly dry or tight in these areas so I am not sure if this is something to do with the SD, Lyme, or drugs? It feels like it is itching deep inside the tissue. I will ask the LLND when I see him in a week. My GP’s only suggestion is Benadryl and I am not really interested in that. So, I am just wondering if any of you brilliant people have any suggestions on how to deal with this problem naturally. I used to have oily skin but now dry so I do not use soap on my back and apply extra virgin coconut oil liberally and frequently.
    Thanks for your input! Have a great weekend
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kate,

The itching could be due to secondary porphyria. Re-read this message that I posted in January:
    Re: ImmunoPro in Canada?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Parisa
    Participant

Kate,

You might reconsider the Benadryl as it seems it can potentiate the antibiotic.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6172&hilit=benadryl

Being able to rest is very important. You can also try making a paste out of baking soda and water and applying it to the itchy regions. There was a period of time when my husband had intense itching and the paste helped. You would need to moisturize afterward as it might be drying.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Kate,
    I don’t know if it helps you or even if it applies.
    I’m prone to hives and last 2 weeks I got some that resembled shingles. Itchy. I was smearing iodine on them a few times a day and it helped. Once iodine is soaked in, I usually apply coconut oil or calendula + chamomile oil onto the problematic skin.
    If it’s just dry and itchy skin patches, I may use Bag Balm on top of iodine.

My past recurrent skin itchiness resolved when I switched to only very gentle soaps, detergents, shampoos and skin lotions (I mostly make own). Each laundry load is run additionally through a whole washing cycle with just water, no detergent added. And I stopped using drier sheets.
    The only time itching still occurs is when my body detoxifies through the skin.
    Drinking more fluids, lowering the dose of whatever I think might have caused too intense detox, usually helps within a few days.
    I would use Benedryl cream if itchiness interfered with my sleep. And I would use everything else during the day.
    Warm wishes, Krys

richie
    Participant

Hi–It is a common problem in scleroderma —skin moistener could help –I used a product called sarna which helped quite a bit —
    richie

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Kate,

Just wondering if some of this could be yeast. My skin, and especially my feet, have gotten very itchy because of yeast.

Eileen

Denyse
    Participant

I too used to get this itch, and it was usually followed by a hard patch of skin. I had it all over my arms and legs but it went away. Now I have it on my lower back, and have a bit of darkening where the itch is. Still trying to find a reason for the itch this time around, still no answers yet.

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

Krys
    Participant

@Denyse wrote:

I too used to get this itch, and it was usually followed by a hard patch of skin. …and have a bit of darkening where the itch is.

I completely forgot about those!
    I had exactly the same thing on my hands. Itchy, bleeding tiny spots over darkened, thickened skin patches that kept growing bigger, darker and thicker. Cream, oil, lotions only somewhat helped with the itchiness. They disappeared within 3 months on doxy. While off abx for a few months they came back …and now on minocycline they disappeared within a month! Lots of other skin “manifestations” like warts, eczema-like patches, also (mostly) disappeared while on abx. I don’t know what it was/is, but abx took care of this problem.
    Krys

cavalier
    Participant

It sure does happen in SD, just to 2nd Ritchie. Jill SD

kater
    Participant

thanks everyone for your interesting thoughts and ideas. I will check these things out. Good to know that the Benadryl is not entirely a bad thing so I will keep some on reserve for rough nights. As much as I hate taking drugs (or at least I used to ๐Ÿ˜† ) getting to sleep after 3 am is not good for me either. I am hoping it is a passing phase and will settle down. It is a little odd as the itching is not in places where I have tight skin–that is what made me wonder what it is about. My herxing is finally settling down 6 weeks after the antibiotic increase and I am back to the doc next Saturday for more! Thanks for your input–I guess it helps to know it is a normal SD thing. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    cheers!
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi there,
    You may want to try castor oil, it works for itchy skin after a fire ant bite. It is an antifungal and antimicrobial too.
    Take care.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kate,
    @kater wrote:

Thanks for your input–I guess it helps to know it is a normal SD thing. ๐Ÿ˜ก

I would not assume that scleroderma is the cause of the itching, since people without SD can also experience itching. I’ve had an itchy back and itchy ankles, and I don’t have SD.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

Hmm, I have tried castor oil and it did nothing for me, the only thing that relieves it somewhat on the deep itch on my back is a blend of essential oils called chiro-care, or I also find that magnesium chloride oil works pretty well too, only problem is I have a hard time getting on my back by myself.

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

matv
    Participant

I second Phil. When starting AP especially the back of my hands and tops of my feet were extremely itchy. Not to mmention my skin drying out like crazy. Most of my itching problems went away, but I find I’ve seen a lot of relief with the no sugar/starch diet, which tells me yeast might have contributed to my problem

kater
    Participant

I have started up dry skin brushing again so that is always a good thing and nice for the itch too ๐Ÿ™‚
    Last night I couldn’t sleep so I tried the Benadryl–worked great but I never woke up until 1030 and almost missed my acupuncture ๐Ÿ˜ณ Interestingly today at acupuncture the woman was putting a needle into my shoulder and it was quite painful–she told me the fascia was very tight there and hard for the needle to go in, sooo I am thinking it is likely the SD in my back and I just don’t notice it as much there as other places that have more movement to them. I am going to be trying the dry-needle trigger point therapy at Nancy’s suggestion, in June. Supposed to release things at a deeper level than the myofascial–and be very painful. ๐Ÿ˜• Thanks for all the good input!
    kate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.