Home Forums General Discussion İron deficiency

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    eagle26
    Participant

Hello friends. I got my blood checked last week . My iron levels is a bit low though it is in the limit but through lower end.
    I feel exhausted most of the time and have breathing problems.
    My sed rate and crp is ok.

I wonder is it because of the chronic infection itself or the nsaids that I use.

And how can I increase my iron levels? I mean this is the second time this happened, at first I use iron pills nsaids and proton inhibitors.

Thanks anyways.

Reactive Arthritis+ tachycardia+ prostatitis. 2015 till now. Just a short remission 4 months.
    NAC, vit e, krill oil, vit b 1000 mcg daily, vit d 2000 iu daily and quercetin 500 mg twice a day.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Eagle,

Wondering if your PPI is the issue?

Association between proton pump inhibitor use and anemia: a retrospective cohort study.

Ever consider H. Pylori as a contributory element of your ReA?

Helicobacter pylori–a trigger of reactive arthritis?

Thing is, it can be a vicious cycle with PPI use….lowered stomach acid will prevent iron absorption whether from diet or supps.

Just some ideas, Eagle, though unsure if they will help.

eagle26
    Participant

It might be anything. I will discuss it with my internist.

Thanks Maz

Reactive Arthritis+ tachycardia+ prostatitis. 2015 till now. Just a short remission 4 months.
    NAC, vit e, krill oil, vit b 1000 mcg daily, vit d 2000 iu daily and quercetin 500 mg twice a day.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes – believe Maz is on the right track. It is extremely unusual for males to be anemic. PPI’s are responsible for lowering B12 which is part of the heme pathway and can therefore lower levels of iron in the body – even though Harvard Gastroenterology has stated these effects are mild and not much to worry about:

Iron and B12 deficiency. Stomach acid helps render the iron and vitamin B12 from food into forms that are readily absorbed. So there was worry that an unintended consequence of PPIs would be deficiencies of this vitamin and mineral because of lower stomach acid levels. But research has shown that if there is any effect, it’s mild, so those concerns have been largely allayed

Harvard Health

However, my Dad’s levels of B12 were low when he was on a PPI before being operated on for a hiatal hernia – and later his iron levels were found to be low. He found it difficult to take iron tablets (and it’s difficult for the body to absorb iron from supplements) and, instead, he drank iron water – which is something you could consider.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

eagle26
    Participant

I am sorry people I get it now. I think I was misunderstood. Last time it happened I used ppis with meloxicam and iron pills to solve the issue.
    This time I am not taking any ppis just only aspirin , krill oil and nac and also propronol. I will discuss it with my doctor.
    Thakns for the help.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I think it might still be related to the PPI’s. My Dad’s iron levels were low more than a year after he stopped taking them.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

An additional thought is that if iron-deficiency anemia started with a PPI, the aspirin and other blood thinning supps may be perpetuating this problem, even if the PPI was stopped a while back. Long term aspirin use can cause micro-bleeds in the gut and, in addition to blood thinning supps (tumeric, NAC, Vit C, and krill oil), your body might be struggling to reverse iron deficiency originally caused by the PPI. Just speculation, though, Eagle.

What are you doing to heal and maintain your gut?

eagle26
    Participant

Actually nothing. All suggestions are welcome.
    Like probiotics???

I stopped all these supplements and pills ( aspirin, vit C , krill oil) for a while now.
    I do not want to use iron pills or any pills now. Just want to give a rest to my body for a little while.
    I just bought myself dried fruits and grape molasses for the iron issue 🙂

Also, I wonder in this situation does it prevent me from starting AP therapy?
    I want to start again in two weeks time.

Thanks people you are helping much.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.