Home Forums General Discussion interesting article on acidosis, 1,25 D , thyroid etc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    casey
    Participant

I  re-posted this from “interesting article” with a “subject “change to provide more info on article contents.”

[align=right]

http://www.smw.ch

[align=right]Home | Sitemap | E-Mail Webmaster  [/align]
    Metabolic and endocrine effects of metabolic acidosis
    in humans.

Wiederkehr M, Krapf R.

[align=right]Swiss Med Wkly 2001;131:127?132[/align]

Review article;
    Peer reviewed article

[align=right][/align]

Summary

Metabolic acidosis is an important acid-base disturbance in humans. It is characterised by a primary decrease in body bicarbonate stores and is known to induce multiple endocrine and metabolic alterations. Metabolic acidosis induces nitrogen wasting and, in humans, depresses protein metabolism. The acidosis-induced alterations in various endocrine systems include decreases in IGF-1 levels due to peripheral growth hormone insensitivity, a mild form of primary hypothyroidism and hyperglucocorticoidism. Metabolic acidosis induces a negative calcium balance (resorption from bone) with hypercalciuria and a propensity to develop kidney stones. Metabolic acidosis also results in hypophosphataemia due to enal phosphate wasting. Negative calcium balance and phosphate depletion combine to induce a metabolic bone disease that exhibits features of both osteoporosis and osteomalacia. In humans at least, 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D levels increase, probably through phosphate depletion-induced stimulation of 1-alpha hydroxylase. The production rate of 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D is thus stimulated,and parathyroid hormone decreases secondarily. There is experimental evidence to support the notion that even mild degrees of acidosis, such as that occurring by ingestion of a high animal protein diet, induces some of these metabolic and endocrine effects. The possible role of diet-induced acid loads in nephrolithiasis, age-related loss of lean body mass and osteoporosis is discussed.

Medizinische Universit

casey
    Participant

Lynne and Mum , The full text copy can be found by cliking on “free full text article at smw.ch” on the above post in the middle of the page at the right. I tried to copy and paste the full text but am having trouble doing this. Let me know if you can access it now.

Thanks

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I still can't access it here but the PDF came through just fine.Thanks a million

Kim
    Participant

Excellent article, Casey.  All of it hits home for me. 🙁

Take care…..kim

Mumof3
    Participant

Thank you Casey. I was able to access the article. It is a great article. Thank you for posting it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ interesting article on acidosis, 1,25 D , thyroid etc’ is closed to new replies.