Home Forums General Discussion In horrible pain what to do?????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cookie
    Participant

I was diagnosed with RA since 2005. Over the years I have taken minocycline 3 times a week on Monday Wednesday and Fridays. My skin has discoloured and my toe nails stopped growing. After much thought I decided to stop taking the mino in May of this year 2012. Now I am experiencing severe pain in my shoulders that is gravitating down my arms. I take Naproxen which is prescription Aleve for the severe pain. Is there another antibiotic that I could try with less side effects but with similar properties of mino? I take vitamins and an anti inflammatory drink. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have appointment to see my RA doctor but not until late September. My GP would prescribe a new drug to help ease me back from these withdrawal symptoms that I am experiencing. Thanks so much for your help.

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

richie
    Participant

Hi–relapse is very often a problem when stopping the minocycline –you might discuss with your doctor doxycline –same family b ut seems to have less problems with skin coloring –good luck –
    richie

cookie
    Participant

Thank you will ask my doctor to prescribe some doxycyline.

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

jaminhealth
    Participant

I was very fortunate to find a rheumy who believes in and uses Mesotherapy injections. There is a ton of info on Meso on the net. Here is just a little on RA and Meso.

{{{The types of compounds injected into the mesoderm during Mesotherapy depend upon the disease process that is being treated. Pharmaceutical grade natural plant extracts, as well as traditional pharmacological agents, are used for the treatments. Mesotherapy is effective for a multitude of conditions because it helps **reverse** the physiology of that condition. In ***rheumatoid arthritis****, for example, several agents are used to control inflammation and stimulate healing. A common aesthetic problem, cellulite or more correctly lipodystrophy is a condition involving the circulation as well as the lymph flow within adipose or fat tissue. Lipodystrophy is caused by poor nutrition, hormonal changes in estrogen, progesterone with subsequent elongation of fat cells within dermal columns creating the

richie
    Participant

Hi—Mesotherapy is being seriously questioned as to its efficacy –the primary use is for cosmetic purposes and most dermotologists will not use it as its effectiveness is seriously questioned —-obviously since that doctor you quoted administers this -the opinion is highly biased –suggest you dig further into it like I just did —
    richie

cookie
    Participant

Thank you for your information on mesotherapy.

Cookie

cookie
    Participant

Thank you for the information on mesotherapy. After reading about all the negative information on this treatment I think I will just continue with antibiotic treatment. I will ask my doctor for doxycyline to replace the minocycline and go from there. It’s a tough disease to conquer but hopefully a cure will be found one day.

Cookie

jaminhealth
    Participant

I’ve read too much positives on Meso and it’s helping me into my 2nd yr and I’ll continue.

There are positives and negatives on EVERYTHING…..

Richie, I have been digging into Meso and left it after some early treatments for other stuff that didn’t pan out….so I’m back on Meso and trust my rheumy and what she believes in this treatment.

As for the Chicago MD, just maybe he’s getting good results with it….why not be biased if it works….

I found a lot of pros and cons and prefer to stay with the cons as it’s giving me some pain relief.

richie
    Participant

Or maybe the Chicago doctor is making tons of money on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

jaminhealth
    Participant

I don’t know too many docs who haven’t made tons of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they are helping people, they deserve what they make. We don’t know that and I leave it open to the best positive
    thoughts….

richie
    Participant

Hi–I know many docs who havent made tons of money and dont self promote –guess its a matter of finding the docs who genuinely want to help people and forgo making tons of money —In fact a few doctors mentioned frequently on this site fit my description —
    richie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.