Home Forums General Discussion Importance of Sunlight

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Interesting article today on Mercola about the importance of sunlight exposure to health; how he believes dermatologists got it very wrong and set the community up to wrongly associate UVB rays as causative in melanoma; and how supplementation of Vitamin D is not equivalent to the overall benefits of natural sunlight

http://tinyurl.com/jvd99vt

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jain26
    Participant

I read that today too, and have followed Dr. Mercola’s recommendations on D3, K2 and healthy sunshine for over a decade. Now that I’m on Minocin I wonder how much sun I’m allowed without getting brown patches? I will really, really miss working outside on my gardening if I have to stay out. I rarely ever wear sunscreen, except occasionally on my face, and then it has to be free of toxic chemicals. Now what? I have light skin and light eyes, but prior to minocin tanned up okay.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Single mom, full-time employed Financial Analyst, part-time grad student.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)
    Weight: Increase of 25% over the past two years

Linda L
    Participant

Jain26,
    I have noticed that you take Ferronyl. Is it because your iron is low? Have you found it more helpful than other kinds of iron?
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Jain26
    Participant

Hi Linda L,

I’ve taken Ferronyl (carbonyl iron and vitamin C) for about five years. I really like the product. My initial onset of RA was followed a year later by sudden onset of heavy uterine fibroid bleeding. I have no idea why these came so close together, but it did seem strange never to have a fibroid issue before, then suddenly after a year on Enbrel or with RA I have three large troublesome ones. The combination of both conditions bottomed out my iron levels even though I eat a healthy amount of red meat. According to Mercola, Ferronyl is more bioavailable than other types of iron. Bonus, it doesn’t cause me any stomach upset or digestive issues. Because I took hormones to minimize the bleeding, I can’t say how much my iron levels were affected by the Ferronyl. I quit the hormones after three years and gaining 35 lbs… I’ve had normal iron levels for the past couple years though, so since starting Minocin have dialed back the Ferronyl. I guess I have an unhealthy fear of waking up one day to a blue Smurf face, and have read that iron has some action in hyperpigmentation while on Minocin. I’m not a doctor though, I just play one in real life…

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Single mom, full-time employed Financial Analyst, part-time grad student.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)
    Weight: Increase of 25% over the past two years

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Jain. I might try this kind of iron as whichever I take it doesn’t increase my iron. So far the doctors haven’t found why.
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maciej P.
    Participant

Hi,

I am new here – however “FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims” ( http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html )
    I just don’t believe doctors whos (in the same moment) claims that wants to help and makes milions selling suplements.

Of course, I may be wrong… just be careful.

regard,
    Maciej

March 2016:
    31 y.o. male, Poland, Europe.
    Diagnosed with RA (started as palindromic rheumatism) at age 28 (SED negative, RF negative, CRP negative, Lyme negative, Chlamydia negative, ANA highly positive, aCCP/ACPA higly positive.
    Treated with sulfasalazine - no success. Chloroquine - no success. NSAID - no success.
    Treated with MTX injections (10mg->15mg->20mg->15mg->12,5mg->10mg->5mg) for 2years. Almost total remission. 3 months after MTX quit - got RA again with trippled strength.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Thanks Maiej
    Here’s my take:
    I’m not particularly enamoured of quack watch to be honest, they operate very inside the conventional paradigm and quite intensely so and not always for the greater good. As for Mercola, I’ve been following his articles/site for many years. I don’t agree with everything he says. But he researches widely, calls out a lot of big organisations (and peak bodies) about things which they investigate poorly, deliberately withold from publication or produce simply for profit at the expense of public health and safety. Yes, he does make and sell supplements (he is a Naturopathic Doctor) but not all (or even most) of his articles are published with a sales pitch. This one, for instance, has no intent on selling anything of his.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maciej P.
    Participant

Exactly… I said that I may be wrong…

What I see across internet, there is a big ‘fight’: official medicine vs. alternative one. They both claims (in some manner) that other side is not honest etc. Simply, I don’t know who to believe.

However – until I got RA – official medicine helped me a lot, the alternative one didn’t. Now – having RA – I am skeptical to both of them. I am reading, observing, and asking questions. Not to decline everything – but to find what is true.

kind regards,
    Maciej

March 2016:
    31 y.o. male, Poland, Europe.
    Diagnosed with RA (started as palindromic rheumatism) at age 28 (SED negative, RF negative, CRP negative, Lyme negative, Chlamydia negative, ANA highly positive, aCCP/ACPA higly positive.
    Treated with sulfasalazine - no success. Chloroquine - no success. NSAID - no success.
    Treated with MTX injections (10mg->15mg->20mg->15mg->12,5mg->10mg->5mg) for 2years. Almost total remission. 3 months after MTX quit - got RA again with trippled strength.

jasregadoo

I think it’s always best to look at all claims, by alternative and traditional doctors alike, with skepticism. You are your own best advocate. Sometimes the information out there is confusing and contradicts other things that we may read. So a skin doctor will say to stay out of the sun, but another doctor may say that is the best form of Vitamin D out there. All we can do is study and decide for ourselves what we will do with the information given.

richie
    Participant

I agree –both approaches have merits –it is a personal choice as to which direction to go —then there is the gray -even a combination of both

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.