Home Forums General Discussion Immunosuppressants and AP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shivam
    Participant

Hi,

Is it dangerous to do the Antibiotic Protocol while on immunosuppressants? I have Polymyositis, Lupus, and Anti-phospholipid syndrome. I’ve been on AP for about 6 months now, but am significantly weaker. Can’t tell if its a herx, or the disease getting worse. Ive refused immunosuppresants, but have decided I want to give them a try. Maybe they can help with the herx, or control some of the disease.

My rheumatologist chose plaquenil. Have you ever heard of someone taking plaquenil and antibiotics?

•Polymyositis - diagnosed Jan 2016 @ 24 yrs old - sudden onset; symptoms 1st appeared Oct 2015
    •tested positive for infectious Mycoplasma in urine; suspected to be sexually transmitted strain, as gf also had STD symptoms + arthritis symptoms for years that vanished with antibiotic therapy. I got sick shortly after we began dating.
    •Prednisolone (10 mg); Minocycline; Clindamycin IV tentatively every 6 weeks
    •Diet: Autoimmune Paleo;
    •Supps: Probiotics, Biocidin LSF, lysine, multi vit + mineral

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Shivam
    According to Dr David Trentham who conducted the MIRA trials, minocycline can be combined with any other available agent. See extract from an article by him that is on this site in the Resources section:

Clearly minocycline can provide adjunctive therapy for RA. In other words, minocycline can be combined with any other available agent. There are no exceptions! Examples include Plaquenil, methotrexate, Arava, anti-TNF compounds like Enbrel & Humira and the new intravenous drug, abetacept (Orencia). Decreased doses of one or both agents may help to avoid gastrointestinal side effects. This regimen usually reflects a desire to obtain additional improvement or to gradually convert to the safer drug, minocycline. Examples include 1. Not having to increase the dose of methotrexate and 2. By increasing the dose of minocycline additional improvement and /or stability may be gained. Perhaps use of two oral drugs might preclude the necessity for an injectable and more expensive drug. Obviously judging the net effect of either drug is difficult or impossible. The same impasse may arise if a clinical or laboratory side effect occurs.

Antibiotic Therapy for Rheumatic Disease: You know where we have been; so where are we now?
    David E. Trentham, M.D.

You might also want to take a look at Karen’s remission story on the site. She had a diagnosis of Lupus and Dermatomyositis. Karen’s Story here

bonnielou – one of RBF’s volunteers – combines Minocycline with Plaquenil for her RA – and I think has been on this combo for several years

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.