Home Forums General Discussion Immunostimulation for autoimmune disease article

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy

http://www.nature.com/cmi/journal/v8/n3/full/cmi201077a.html

I hope this will lead you to the correct article. I found this article to be the most interesting article I have read lately. Everyone with autoimmune should be aware of this!

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Misty
    Participant

Thank you Spiffy! This was an excellent article that gave me a lot to think about.

Spiffy

You are welcome. I hope people don’t begin to lose interest before getting to the good stuff! The success stories are eye openers. It definitely reinforces the fact that certain people need a little extra help combating these microbes.

supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Maz
    Keymaster

I hope people don’t begin to lose interest before getting to the good stuff! The success stories are eye openers. It definitely reinforces the fact that certain people need a little extra help combating these microbes.

The Autoimmunity Research Foundation is run by Trevor Marshall of the Marshall Protocol (MP) website. There are similarities to AP in that various antimicrobials are used, but it actually varies a lot in terms of rationale and as a treatment approach to autoimmunity. If interested, you can learn about MP on that site or on the Chronic Illness Recovery site. Whenever the term “immunopathology” (herxing) is referenced, it’s a heads up that the folks are talking about MP.

Spiffy

Oh my! I had no idea it was MP. I should have seen the connection because of Vitamin D. I also see it was written in 2011. I wonder how many advances have been made since then. I was interested in the hypertension drug they used. Hmmmm, thanks for the information.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Maz
    Keymaster

I was interested in the hypertension drug they used.

Hi Spiffy,

Yes, that’s right. MP uses substantial doses of Benicar (olmestartan) to modify the Vit D receptor (aka VDR). There has been some controversy over this approach. Mercola, for example, wrote a less than flattering review, but MP proponents claim otherwise. The comments under the following article are interesting to wade through. I haven’t tried MP, so unable to comment one way or the other in any fair way and can only say that it makes sense that it would work well for sarcoidosis where there is an excess of Vit D.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/14/clearing-up-confusion-on-vitamin-d–why-i-dont-recommend-the-marshall-protocol.aspx

Misty
    Participant

Hello Maz,
    The content of the Marshall Protocol was new to me, having just recently been diagnosed with RA and started my journey into understanding what is happening in my body.The vitamine D theory did feel very strange and I can well understan Dr.Mercolas criticism.What i have not understood or found any articles on is why Dr. Mercola no longer includes Minocycline treatment in his protocol for treating RA.Is he of the opinion that dietary changes and healing of the gut can be enough to contain the mycoplasma or has he abandoned the mycoplasma theory all together?

Linda L
    Participant

Misty,
    Yes, I don’t understand it as well, but in fact he has written :

Eventually, he modified his treatment to more potent discriminating forms of tetracycline, such as minocycline. Dr. Brown ultimately helped bring over 10,000 patients into remission. I first saw his work in a 20/20 special done shortly before he died in 1989, and it really inspired me. I decided to study his work, began using his protocol on RA patients in my practice, and was really impressed with the results. Eventually I modified the protocol to the point where I abandoned antibiotics altogether.
    http://www.articles.mercola.com
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

MLTelfer
    Participant

Another thought since I am on a different arc in this journey. I am considering using doxy in conjunction with Humira. The more I investigate I am getting a different angle on this. I am developing a theory that anti-TNF’s return the immune system to normal. Without being wonky with the studying I have done, when the TNF levels are reduced, the cascading overstimulation of the immune system is eliminated. The overexpression of cytokines and interleukins, etc stops and levels return to normal. The disappearance of symptoms do not represent the immune system being turned off. It represents the immune system returning to normal absent an excess of TNF. My whole purpose in getting involved in AP was to avoid biologics, but now that I am there perhaps there is something to leverage here. I was so caught up using AP to “lock the front door” to keep the biologics out, maybe I can use the back door to bring antibiotics in (if that makes sense). This may be an ideal time to introduce antibiotics to attack source of the disease. And wouldn’t be interesting if there was a herx in this environment? PS – I am considering doxy due to hyperpigmentation from mino and from my point of view there is simply too much evidence in support of AP for me to abandon it. I am searching for the proper application of it for my situation. I believe the answer lies here somewhere! It is my challenge to find it – just like all of you.

Misty
    Participant

Hello Linda,
    “Eventually I modified the protocol to the point where I abandoned antibiotics all together”.Is this really all he has to say? Such a big modification of the protocol deserves in my view a more thorough explenation! I would really want to know more about the process what made him change his mind. If anyone has more information would be very thankful.

Jain26
    Participant

In reply to MLTeller, I have had RA since 2010. I’ve been on Enbrel since 2011, and in medication induced remission for at least three years. Occasionally if I do something like too much yoga, or eat some dairy, I’ll have mild flaring for a day or two which I can handle with Aleve. I never wanted to be on biologics, but my RA became so severe, so quickly, it was the practical choice at the time. I’ve also made dietary changes to mostly paleo, which seem to be the point at which I went into the medication remission and stopped having the long, debilitating flares. Interestingly, I have a 13yo indoor cat, who developed mild respiratory symptoms shortly after I started getting sick with RA. My labrador retriever also started getting runny eyes around the same, which have never gone away. The dog’s vet thought nothing of it. I figured allergies with age. The cat has had increasingly worse upper respiratory issues since then, with a variety of rounds of antibiotics. Nothing cleared his infection long term, it just got worse and worse over four years, with constant mucus and sneezing. Finally, last month I had the cat vet do just about every test I could afford on the cat. Every test came out negative or perfect, except that she was able to culture multiple unnamed mycoplasma species from his sinuses. She put him under anesthesia to get this culture. She said it was the first time in her career (probably 30+ years) she has cultured mycoplasma successfully from a cat’s sinuses. So, both cats and the dog are now on Doxycycline for extended treatment. This follows a bronchopneumonia I had (the first ever) a few months ago, also treated with Doxy and then Azithromax. This got the wheels turning in my tired brain, and brought me back to the Road Back site. After reading, I learned there are multiple species of mycoplasma that can use either a dog, cat or human host. With this all in mind, I asked my rheumy if I could start Minocycline, and he agreed. I started 100mg brand name 10 days ago. I am still on Enbrel. I can tell you, I am herxing to the point where I think I need to reduce my dosage for a while. I’m having headache, flu-like body aches, pain that feels like moderate flaring in my toes, feet, ankles, knees, hips, wrists and finger joints. Even my teeth hurt at times. I’m alternating between chilly and sweating, and having trouble sleeping. I hoped Enbrel would moderate the herx, but with me I don’t see this happening. In the case it might be moderating, maybe it’s only reducing symptoms, not eliminating them. I need to talk with my doctor about my dosage schedule. I don’t believe this is a flare. I was symptom free for a very long time. For this to happen within days after starting Minocycline tells me it’s herx. I’d appreciate any estimate on how long these herx symptoms can last. I’ve asked to work from home the rest of this week because I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. Am I in for a month, six months, years of this? I work full time, and I grad student, single mom, and take car of my home. I need to be functional, so may have to slow down on my AP treatment…

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Single mom, full-time employed Financial Analyst, part-time grad student.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)
    Weight: Increase of 25% over the past two years

jasregadoo

Jain26, you say you’re taking 100mg of Minocycline. Are you taking it twice a day, or once a day? I think if I were you, I would maybe do a ‘wash out’ of a week with no Mino, then add in a smaller dosage. Maybe 50mg or 100mg 3 days a week. Try that dosage for a couple of months, and then increase if you decide to, gradually. There is a lot of information on the FAQs of this website that can help. But to my inexperienced ears, it sounds like you’re in a herx for sure (which is a good thing), but you don’t need to suffer so badly, and too much inflammation can get in the way of the minocycline being able to get in there and do its job.

jasregadoo

Misty, I’ve read some of Mercola’s thoughts on antibiotic protocol, and I personally don’t agree with some of it. I think he’s all about diet and exercise, which is fine if that’s what’s wrong, but for some of it isn’t. He also believes anyone with RA needs therapy, as he feels there was childhood trauma that is causing the problem. I had a very happy childhood, with no trauma. Yet here I am. Go do a search on his website and see what you think.

Address Emotional Trauma

Having an effective method to address the nearly universal underlying emotional distresses that are present in virtually all autoimmune diseases like RA.
    The emotional trauma typically occurs before the age the conscious mind is formed, which is typically around the age of 5 or 6, though it can occur at any point in your life.

If that specific emotional insult is not addressed with an effective treatment modality, then the underlying emotional trigger will not be removed, allowing the destructive process to proceed.

In some cases, RA appears to be caused by an infection, and it is my experience that this infection is usually acquired when you have a stressful event that causes a disruption in your bioelectrical circuits, which then causes an impairment in your immune system.

This impairment predisposes you to developing the initial infection and also contributes to your relative inability to effectively defeat the infection.

Therefore, it’s very important to have an effective tool to address these underlying emotional traumas. In my practice, the most common form of treatment used is called the Meridian Tapping Technique (MTT).

If you already have RA, the emotional trauma is best treated by a professional.

One of Mercola’s many articles on RA

Jain26
    Participant

Thank you, jasregadoo. I did go back and read a lot of the treatment protocol material on the Roadback site, and agree. I probably need to reduce my dosage of Minocin for a bit. I’ve been taking Aleve to reduce the inflammation. I’ll talk with my rheumy about it as well. It’s interesting, I have a much worse Herx day when I’ve taken my 100mg Mino pill on an empty stomach the day prior. It must make somewhat of a difference in me. I also read an article yesterday about a study done on two arthritic cats with M. Felis (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16911119). It’s very interesting also to note that my 13yo cat developed arthritis-like symptoms in his hips and back around the same time as his upper respiratory symptoms began (an shortly after my RA was diagnosed). The cat’s joint issues have only gotten worse over the past four year, to where he shuffles around and can’t jump – but only pull himself up on things. Over the past month, he started trotting around, and was actually running with the kitten a few days ago. Yesterday, he got himself up on the kitchen desk via a chair to eat the kitten’s food. His improvement gives me hope for my own!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Single mom, full-time employed Financial Analyst, part-time grad student.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)
    Weight: Increase of 25% over the past two years

Spiffy

Jain26, I cannot help but wonder if mold could be involved. It is strange that both pets and you have been affected by “allergies” and immune challenges. I would look high and low in your surroundings and perhaps consider some type of mold testing.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.