Home Forums General Discussion I'm Back!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Woods1977
    Participant

Hi, I’m back. Apologies for the random threads.

On a positive note, my PCP has agreed to prescribe me Minocycline! On the downside, I have been out of the loop on this for a long, long time (almost two years).

Two questions:
    Any advice for someone who tried AP with some success, then quit, and wants to try it again?
    Do some of you mind responding with brands of Mino that have worked for you? It has been so long; I have no idea what to try these days.

Rheumatoid Arthritis 2011
    OTC Aleve (3 per day)
    Coq10
    Curcumin
    Magnesium

CMS12
    Participant

I have tried Watson, Torrent, Par, and Zydus (used to be Teva) I’m on Zydus now for last 2 months and I seem to be herxing. Hoping this one will work. None of the others did for me. Torrent worked but not very well….
    Maybe 50 percent.

Hope this helps. Cindy

Woods1977
    Participant

Thanks, Cindy. This information is helpful. I might take a stab at Zydus, as I’ve never had it before. Do you know if anyone is able to access brand “Minocin” these days, and if so, where from?

Thanks,
    Michelle

CMS12
    Participant

Brand Minocin is no longer available. It became exorbitantly expensive so most insurers dropped it from approved drug list and then Valeant stopped making it. Seems to have been planned as Valeant also offers really expensive time released Minocycline for acne, Solodyn. Hopefully, some day it will be available again as it sure works. No one on this forum has been able to get Minocin for several years to my knowledge.

Hope Zydus capsules work for you.

Woods1977
    Participant

Thanks… I figured as much, as I can’t find it anywhere myself. Last question- can you tell me where you get the Zydus capsules from (do you know what pharmacy chain carries them?)

CMS12
    Participant

Yes, CVS pharmacy is where I get them. Keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing.

Cindy

niteowl
    Participant

Hi Woods1977,
    I’m also back after stopping mino for almost two years. I am just taking 50mg every other day. The days that I take I feel alot better in the afternoon and evening. I just take whatever manufacturer that Walgreens uses. I am not going to obsess over whether it’s Watson or Teva this time around. And I will not be going to an AP Dr this time around. Two years ago I had DILE and thought I was going to die! It was horrific. I have been on methylprednisolone for the last two years as a vacation. The first year was pretty ok. This year I have no skin integrity and my hair is breaking off. But I digress. So the first time around I was having some success until I wasn’t. Good luck to us second timers.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

Linda L
    Participant

Nightowl, do you still take Prednisolone?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Dunlop321
    Participant

Hi there,

Minocine and Minocil are available in Ireland to purchase if you have a prescription.

UK also has a number of brands like Acmino.

niteowl
    Participant

This is for Linda L.
    Yes, I am still on prednisolone. Having lots of the unwanted side effects. I don’t heal very well, now. Taking months for sores to heal, sigh.

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

Linda L
    Participant

Nite owl, you must take good probiotics every day. Prednisolone damages your immune system.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.