Home Forums General Discussion Hypothyroid and RA Flare?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Can a low thyroid (hypothyroid) cause a rheumatoid flare?

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Maz
    Keymaster

From personal experience, being either hypo or hyperthyroid can mimic RA and set off flaring.

Your Thyroid and Rheumatic Disease

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

MAZ! I had graves disease (hyperthyroid) as a child…treated at the University of Florida with meds (no surgery). Basically, I “out grew it” BUT they told me that I had a big big big chance in the future of going hypo because of what my thyroid had been through. So…I’m wondering…will get it checked. Thanks for the link. Will report back. Maz…my angel…truly…thank you.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Maz
    Keymaster

Gosh, no worries. Hard won experience, unfortunately, both pre- and post-thyroidectomy (for toxic multi-modular goiter). It’s worth asking for an ultrasound, as well as thyroid autoantibodies, TSH, free T3 and Free T4 labs. It was the ultrasound (and RAI scan) that helped determine the issue as labs were consistently normal.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Documenting for anyone reading this in the future: It wasn’t the thyroid. Which is still a good thing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.