Home Forums General Discussion How long on Minocycline

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    Participant

I was on Minocin and now Minocycline for 8 going on 9 years. Does anyone know how long one can use this drug and if there is any side effects from it down the road. I take it now MWF. But took it everyday the first three months. 8 yrs. ago. It works for me. Rose

A Friend
    Participant

@Rose wrote:

I was on Minocin and now Minocycline for 8 going on 9 years. Does anyone know how long one can use this drug and if there is any side effects from it down the road. I take it now MWF. But took it everyday the first three months. 8 yrs. ago. It works for me. Rose

Hello Rose,

So glad you found this treatment and it has worked so well for you. Many of us who have been helped by AP have wondered the same questions.

I have continued to do a balancing act. That is, after reading/studying almost every day since before and after learning about Dr. Brown’s work, I’ve tried to figure out the causes and how to address the causes. What I have found is that there are many things going on in our bodies that we don’t/can’t know about… things that AP is addressing unknown to us. We need to have the Big Picture of how our bodies work — and our bodies all work a bit differently… but the basics may be pretty much the same.

I just came here this morning to share a couple of links that seem to be very important links that all of us on AP (or thinking about beginning to use AP) will most probably benefit from.

My present state today (2/17/14) is that while AP has given me my life back, I have continued to have to learn and tweak and address new things I’ve discovered that have been silently going on. I strongly encourage all of us to read the whole article, and save it. I found this article just this morning while searching for more information about how I could have had a longtime condition in my dental areas, and felt as well and done as well as I did — and still had such a drastic response to about 9 days of high-dose D-3.

It has come to light, for me, after being on high dose Vitamin D-3, and it setting off months of IBS (which I’d never had until a week or two of the D-3). Looking back, my guess is that AP (Minocin in my case) helped to keep the hidden problems under control, until (I believe) the high-dose Vitamin D may have caused an abundance of these organisms to be addressed, and given me horrific IBS with my otherwise healthy feeling body trying to get rid of the organisms addressed by the D-3….. until the molar showed up on the dental x-ray last fall 2013 with a “dark area” and both of my excellent dentists said it had to have a root canal, implant, or be pulled. I already knew about the first two and declined. The 2nd day on Amoxicillin after the tooth was pulled 12/31/13, the IBS stopped dead in its tracts. I truly believe this condition had been in the canals of my teeth since the beginning of my illness back about 1991 after the molar had been refilled and capped… and later as long as I was on low-dose abx, and addressed and did other good healthy things, life was pretty good most of the time.

I urge you all knowledgeable of AP to read this link carefully and thoughtfully. It discusses mycoplasma, arthritis, etc. The 2nd link below was the link that showed up and I wanted to share and keep, but I included the first one, thinking it might give us a good overview. Good luck to all of you reading this. AF

http://www.diagnose-me.com/
    http://www.diagnose-me.com/symptoms-of/chronic-hidden-infection.html
    Chronic/Hidden Infection: Overview
    From gallstones to arthritis to heart disease, many illnesses long presumed to have roots in genes or lifestyle may be caused largely by infectious agents, a growing number of scientists believe. Most of the evidence, however, remains circumstantial.
    (Article continues below…)
    Evidence is mounting that a variety of common germs long thought to cause only mild, short-lived illnesses such as the flu play a role in causing chronic health problems ranging from allergies, asthma and arthritis to obesity, heart disease and cancer. Long after one recovers from the microbe’s initial insult, viruses, bacteria and other germs silently chew away at the body’s tissues and organs, causing insidious, permanent damage, it is believed.

Rose
    Participant

Dear “Friend” I will definitely read the article and thank you for posting it. Rose

richie
    Participant

Hi–I still take 200 mg daily of minocin brand every day –its now going on 15 years and will probably take it forever to be certain of no relapse —-as long as I take enough probiotic daily –no problems at all —
    richie

JeffN
    Participant

I have been on mino since Jan. of 2007. Presently I am taking 100mg a day MWF. I started with the 100mg twice a day seven days a week. I have some darkening of the skin on my temples, not too concerned about that though as I feel fine and that is what counts IMO. No other adverse signs.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Same story as Richie,15years and 4 months but I also have Lyme so I have been on many antibiotics.I only take mino 100mg a day 5 days a week.I also have dark patches from the mino on my face so I am thinking of taking Doxy for a while to see if they could fade out.Seeing as how Doxy is just about like Mino it may also give those blue patches if taken long enough.I really don’t care about them too much as I feel just fine.

Suni-One
    Participant

Ritchie: How much (?? billions) of probiotics do you take a day? And any specific brand you find more beneficial than others?

I began in July 2013 taking 100 mg of Minocycline 2 ‘s per day, 7-days a week – I think its just beginning to help. Also I read that a person needs about 50 billion probiotics per day but this article (about probiotics) had nothing to do with taking Minocycline or RA – it was a generality. But I am now taking 4 (capsules) – 10 billion units ea. of probiotics per day – “Flora” brand by UDO. Is this enough do you think?

If you could get back to me I’d sure appreciate it. Thank you

Rose
    Participant

Thank you all of you, you all did answer my concerns. This is such a great website, I am so grateful I came across it years ago it certainly saved my life. Rose

richie
    Participant

Hi I use PB8 and take 10 capsules a day —over the years I kept increasing the amount of probiotic and 10 capsules seems like an ample dose for me —I also find vitacost.com or Puritans Pride on line have the lowest prices about 11.00 for 120 capsules —
    richie

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Good information.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jan;
    this is an oldie but goodie.I am now in year 20.Relieved to see that Sue is fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.