Home Forums General Discussion How long can Prednisone be taken?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mahesh_Bhagnari
    Participant

Hello,

Just started this NEW thread as the main question has to be emphasised. I have been reading a lot about PRED and wished to know how long is safe.

Thanks for the answers anyway

Regards
    Mahesh Bhagnari

linda
    Participant

Prednisone can be taken indefinitely, but not without consequences. The chances of developing other illnesses from the prednisone increases over time, but it differs with each person. I became insulin resistant after being on it for about 6 yrs, also began to have problems with my stomach at about the same time. There are other side effects; high blood pressure, cataracts, weight gain, mood swings. Some people can develop these side effects after a few months, for some it will take years. If the prednisone is stopped the conditions are usually reversible. If the problem has been there for a while, it could be permanent, e.g. insulin resistance could turn into type 2 diabetes.

The problem with taking prednisone for a long time is that it takes the place of a hormone produced in our adrenal glands called cortisol. This hormone does several things, like regulate blood pressure, and other functions that are necessary for survival. If we are taking prednisone, the adrenal glands stop making cortisol, and over time they will atrophy. At that point it is very difficult to wean off of prednisone since the adrenals can no longer make enough to keep us alive. It can be done but it takes a long time and is not always successful. Healthy adrenals make about the equivalent of 5 mg prednisone a day. Basically, the longer one stays on prednisone the greater the chances that one will have to take it for the rest of their lives.

My doctor did not inform me of all of these side effects; I had to go to an endocrinologist for the insulin resistance and she gave me this information. If I had the information before I started taking prednisone, I would have been much more careful with it. Unfortunately, many of us have to make the difficult decision to take it despite the side effects. Hope this helps,

linda

I have paid dearly for being on it long term because I was in agony. I found a rheumy who took me off it and put me on low dose morphine 30mg. twice a day, wonderful man.  How I wish that had been done a long time ago.  The trouble with it is it lets the bugs get out of control underneath, even though you are on the abx so if I were you I would find someone who will give you this alternative or something else comparable.  I do not care for the dehydration however I will be off it also within 6 months I feel, as I am now getting the pain under control.  Have learnt a lot from it all in the meantime.

linda
    Participant

Rosemary,

I understand how the morphine treats the pain, but how did you treat the inflammation without prednisone? I thought treating the inflammation was necessary for AP to be successful, as well as preventing joint damage. If your pain is severe enough that you need morphine, I would think that the inflammation must be pretty bad as well. Why did your doctor rx such a strong pain med, instead of something like tramadol or vicodin? I'm all for getting off of prednisone, but I'd be just as concerned about taking morphine as I am about taking prednisone. I thought it was only used for post surgery and severe pain in end stage cancer patients.

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hey Rosemary,

I have had Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma for possibly 10 years (DX 2001) and in this past year have had to resort to using morphine for the pain. In fact the flare-ups this past year now require extra strength morphine. A usual day requires morphine 3 – 4 times a day (80 mg.) or 120 mg. extra strength morph. every 3 hrs. during a flare. Now, I am talking about deep bone pain not in a joint or nerve/muscle pain as well as the usual joint involvement. So certainly there are some diseases other than end stage cancer that require heavy duty med.'s.  An anti-inflammatory wouldn't touch this kind of pain. The other reason a lot of people end up on 'big' med.'s for pain is that you develop a resistance to them over time. Everybody's different, so is their degree of pain and what they need to be comfortable.

Cheers,

Steph

linda
    Participant

Steph,

I'm so sorry to hear that your pain is so intense. I understand about pain med tolerance, it happened to me when I was taking vicodin a few years ago. I have PsA, which is often more painful than RA because the inflammation involves the tendons, muscle and even bone surrounding the affected joint; I can only imagine what deep bone pain must be like. I hope you see some improvement soon,

linda

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hey Linda,

We are so fortunate to have this little place on earth where we all can go and be understood and never again feel alone. Thanks for your understanding.

Take Care!

Steph

Steph lost my note to you so you might get two.

I am confused about the different dosages of morphine between you country and mine.   We are not allowed any more to be prescribed in tablet form than the 30mg. twice a day unless of course you were hospitalized and had IV.  I hate the stuff but it has advantages in that it seems to keep the liver inflammation down and allow you to increase dosages quicker whilst on it.  My Rheumy told me it was quite safe and I agree that it is definitely safer than the prednisolone I was on.  Not confusing that with prednisone which is a different thing.  I am getting rid of the cause of the pain and will definitely be able to stop the morphine. I have no problem with that at all.  It is already easing. I have worked really hard for a long time on so many different abx to get rid of the bacteria and it is paying off. It is not easy and you have to have a great Dr. to do it. I feel for anyone who suffers with chronic pain, like I did, especially with sero negative test results. I was in tears constantly, trying to find them help, as I knew what they were going through. The medical profession here will not give us a thing here, unless they find anything, so I was in big trouble until I went to the States for help.  Then things changed of course, but by then a great deal of damage had been done.  I really think  that unless you find the cause of the pain and treat it, you will be addicted to anything. I don't think they have any idea what you are going through.  

Linda the  prednisone did not touch my pain I had to ask for the prednisolone after the pain clinic refused the epidural I asked for.  Yes you are right about keeping the inflammation down.  It is extremely important. 

Some Drs' use low dose morphine here for R/D particularly 10 & 20 mg. and yes they do use it for cancer but the type and doses you are thinking are for IV treatment usually, and hospital patients.

My Rheumy gave me a booklet to reduce my fears.  Anyway I was in no position to argue.  I felt that if I could get some peace I may be able to concentrate on the problem. It felt so good I thought I had died and gone to heaven and that's the truth. Some peace at last.  I have been indebted to him ever since. It is hard enough, trying to get results without having to deal with chronic pain as well.  We are supposed to keep the inflammation down also.  I have no idea why I was not given the drugs you suggested. I doubt they would have been strong enough anyway. I have no doubt I will be off them in approx 6 month time. Will let you know.

So sorry

I  misunderstood and thought you were referring to Prednisolone. Prednisone did not touch my pain. We did try that first.

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hi Rosemary from Down Under,

Right now is a good example of how bad the pain can get; it's 2:30 a.m. here in eastern Canada and I'm up as usual. That's awful that your country won't allow you more than 30 mg. tab.'s of morphine. Besides regular strength morph. here we can also get extra strength, shots/I.V. morphine done by a nurse in your own home and it's covered by our governmental health insurance. I really feel for you having such restrictions on your pain relief method's. Yes, I too can't wait for the day when my AP attacks the cause of the pain and I can get off these insidious narcotics.

Take Care!

Steph

steph-sclero
    Participant

Rosemary,

Sorry I just realized you were talking about prednisone too. But you are right, prednisone could not touch this kind of pain. I think it must be the closest thing to what it must feel like to have bone cancer.

To better days ahead,

Steph

Steph I found out years later during my A/P that the infection was really bad in the bone from dental treatment so no wonder I was in agony, and yes it is like bone cancer. They say that is really the most painful.   The Bactrim DS every second day is certainly helping a great deal. I have to take the Mino daily though because of incontinenance. It has to be 200mg. every day to hit it effectively. I am not afraid to make that info public. Either Doxy or Mino at 200mg. will often do the trick.  I have increased the Zithromax to weekly to try and get off the cephalosporin. My gut has healed now and I am getting better daily.  Much more strenght in my arms now. although I still need to keep them straight most of the time at night or I get pins and needles, but progressing.  Yes there is a great deal we cannot get here, they are extremely cautious.  Not only that  –   the Govt has to pay for most of it so they are pretty restrictive.  We pay a small amount.

steph-sclero
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

I can really relate to the pins and needles in your arms if they are not kept straight especially at night (it's a horrible feeling). I was originally on 200 mg. every day but found it made me really nauseous so I switched to pulsing. I guess if I'm going to see results I too will have to go back to 200 every day (I'll eat Gravol like candy again). It really is a lot of trial and error and no two people seem to react the same. That's what makes talking to each other here such a God send. Thanks for sharing.

Take Care,

Steph 

Steph I found taking three quercetin in the morning is helping heal my inflammed blood vessels and heart as well.  So glad I heard about it. It has taken time but I think I will keep taking it as the results speak for themselves.  There is no where near the same amount of antioxident in fruit as in this kind of supp.  apparently.  I am also not eating any fruit at the moment until I get things under control because of the sugar content.  Seems to be working. Did not know if you knew about this. I am sure I had vasculitis.  Terribly painful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ How long can Prednisone be taken?’ is closed to new replies.