Home Forums General Discussion Hey Friend,look at this

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I thought you might want to see this Healing sinusitis with honey Lab tests show it can kill up to 91% of bacteria Tom Spears, Canwest News Service OTTAWA – Honey for a sore throat, sure. But honey for sinusitis?
    Ordinary honey kills bacteria that cause sinus infections, in many cases better than antibiotics, says a new study from the University of Ottawa.
    This includes the “superbug” MRSA. And honey is effective when the bacteria form “biofilms,” or layers of living material that coat a surface (such as sinus cavities) and fight off normal drugs the way a raincoat sheds water.
    No one is sure what in the honey kills the bacteria, but something does. As well, it seems to stimulate healing in the injured tissue. And over centuries, bacteria haven't built up resistance to honey. Reuters/Lila De Guzman/USDA/Handout Email to a friendPrinter friendly Font:

• *[/*:2t4y9n50]

var addthis_pub = 'canada.com'; function textCounter(field,cntfield,maxlimit) { if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long…trim it! field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit); // otherwise, update 'characters left' counter else { var divLabel = document.getElementById(“divLabel”); divLabel.innerHTML = maxlimit – field.value.length + ” characters remaining”; } } So far the tests are strictly in lab dishes, not in live patients.
    But testing on live patients “is very, very close,” says Dr. Talal Alandejani, a resident studying ear, nose and throat medicine at the U of O, though first they'll do safety tests on animals. He expects it to pass these tests easily.
    To reach the sinuses, “we'll use an irrigation needle. This is not new,” he said.
    “Probably in the non-medical world it sounds weird, but we've been irrigating with antibiotics already, so it's the same equipment . . . we're just going to use honey in it.”
    When a sinus infection becomes chronic, it goes on for months, resisting multiple courses of pills, irrigation (squirting salt water or antibiotics into the sinuses) and even surgery.
    It's miserable. Imagine a cold that lasts the rest of your life, the doctor says. Current theory says there's likely a biofilm fighting off treatment.
    Honey, Alandejani knew, has been used for centuries to treat infected wounds and burns in much of the world. It's the backup when antibiotics fail.
    No one is sure what in the honey kills the bacteria, but something does. As well, it seems to stimulate healing in the injured tissue. And over centuries, bacteria haven't built up resistance to honey.
    Chronic sinusitis infects 31 million Americans each year, clogging up the spaces behind the forehead, nose and cheekbones.
    “Growth in biofilms increases bacterial resistance to antibiotics, which may explain why CRS (chronic sinusitis) responds poorly to antibiotic therapy,” the U of O team writes.
    Bacterial biofilms can also form inside water pipes, where they are notoriously hard to kill by flushing or chlorinating.
    The team used two types of honey, diluted with water – a type called manuka from New Zealand, and sidr honey from Yemen. (They looked at Canadian clover and buckwheat honeys as well, but these didn't work.)
    Both manuka and sidr honeys completely killed bacteria free-floating in liquid. They didn't kill all the bugs in a biofilm, but both still did pretty well, killing 63 to 91 per cent of different bacteria types.
    These bacteria included methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a “superbug” that is highly resistant to antibiotics.
    MRSA is a particular problem in hospitals, and is also common among workers on pig farms.
    Antibiotics tested on the same biofilms didn't kill as many bacteria as the honey. One type, rifampin, killed just 18 per cent of the biofilm samples, and seven more types (including vancomycin) all failed to kill any.
    The results were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, in Chicago.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

The team used two types of honey, diluted with water – a type called manuka from New Zealand, and sidr honey from Yemen. (They looked at Canadian clover and buckwheat honeys as well, but these didn't work.)
    Both manuka and sidr honeys completely killed bacteria free-floating in liquid. They didn't kill all the bugs in a biofilm, but both still did pretty well, killing 63 to 91 per cent of different bacteria types.

Hi Lynne,

Hope you don' t mind my response, as your post was to A Friend. 😉 I'd heard of manuka honey before and did a little search to see what I could learn about it. Seems it's been around for a while…here were a couple of quick links I pulled up:

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/25333/

http://www.benefitofmanukahoney.com/

I'm sure AF will have lots of great info on this! No pressure or anything, AF! :roll-laugh: 

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

Lynne G-SD,

I've posted links that turned into monsters to read.  I think you just posted one of those.  A search turned up a link that we can click on to read your post.  Very interesting.  Now, I'm going to go read it. 

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/index.html

Thanks,

AF

A Friend
    Participant

Maz,

I plead ignorance about honey for sinus.  However, I used to mix honey in hot water with lemon and a generous sprinkle of red pepper for colds, etc.  So good! 

Knock on wood, but I don't remember when I had the last cold; and no longer seem to have sinus problems.  I've got to tell you, I don't miss them a bit. 

I was curious about the two effective honeys in Lynne's  post.  Interesting. 

AF

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi AF,

Yes, a wonderful, good old fashioned home remedy, the hot honey and lemon with red pepper!

I'm curious about the honey, too, and am pretty sure someone mentioned manuka honey to help with digitial ulcers (but don't quote me on that). Will have to check the archives to see if I can find the reference.

Certainly sounds like it has very good anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Great to hear about this kind of research going on.

Peace, maz

Maz
    Keymaster

Yup, Margaret K mentioned it in an April 15th post! Here's the link…

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=318&forum_id=1&highlight=manuka+honey

Phew, a relief to know the old memory still has some life in it! :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

PS Cheers Margaret! How did the manuka honey work out for you?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Hey Friend,look at this’ is closed to new replies.