Home Forums General Discussion Herx or progression?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    elee1222
    Participant

How do you know if there is disease progression, or if it is a herx reaction? I have greater swelling/pain than before I started Minocin last week (I had IVs as well). I am having a really hard time. I am taking Plaquenil as a back-up to the Mino, but I am concerned about the worsening of symptoms. I fear that I may have to go on MTX, which I don’t want, and my rheumatologist says MTX isn’t compatible with Mino anyway. I already have deformities and loss of function. How do I know?

Dawn
    Participant

@elee1222 wrote:

How do you know if there is disease progression, or if it is a herx reaction? I have greater swelling/pain than before I started Minocin last week (I had IVs as well). I am having a really hard time. I am taking Plaquenil as a back-up to the Mino, but I am concerned about the worsening of symptoms. I fear that I may have to go on MTX, which I don’t want, and my rheumatologist says MTX isn’t compatible with Mino anyway. I already have deformities and loss of function. How do I know?

Elizabeth, I am not a doctor, however, MTX or Plaquenil can both be used along with Mino per both Rheumatologists I have had. I think that it is highly possible that each are best to be taken at no close proximity timewise to each other; and I know in my case that I kept them separated by over 8 hours or more…but just my way of taking any medications, not according to either Rheumy’s instructions.

Hopefully others more knowledgeable will post to help direct you on this. In looking at your signature line, the previous lack of diagnosis resulting in damages may not be reversible by this (or indeed any) therapy, but prevention of additional damage while the AP starts having benefit is certainly a concern. My understanding for Plaquenil is that it can take 3-6 months before benefit from it becomes evident, so some sort of inflammation control be it NSAIDS, Prednisone, diet, etc. can be of assistance early on.

Just my thoughts in dealing with an aggressive RA for almost 2 years now – I am starting to benefit from the AP, however, I have had to use other controls due to the very nature and behavior of RA.

Here’s hoping you find your way through the current thicket and on to some solid improvement, albiet sometimes very gradual, in the near future!

Dawn 🙂

DawnF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Elee you have added alot of things very rapidly. After one week on mino it is far too early to state disease progression and is much more likely to be a herx. Have you read up on the herx response in our Education section, inThe New Arthritis book and in FAQ section on http://www.rheumatic.org? It will help if you do. You could also consider a week’s washout and restart mino at a lower dose and on fewer days. Dr S in Iowa will also kindly consult by email with your doctor. One of the US volunteers will give you details or someone who has consulted with him – perhaps after christmas break when lots of people are away or with family.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.