Home Forums Personal History and Progress Threads Here goes………..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hotspur2904
    Participant

Back in January 2007 I started getting aches and pains in my hips and ankles. Whilst in the UK, I do have private health insurance so I very quickly saw a Consultant Rheumatologist who diagnosed PsA, gave me a steroid injection in the backside, presribed me Diclofenac and Lansoprasol,  put me on a low dose of Methatraxate and told me to come back in 3 months. Didnt really believe her as I have no visible signs of psoriasis bar a small amount of pitting in my fingernails.

3 months later, with the aches spreading to my shoulders and elbows, I went back. Another steroid injection, Methatraxate dose upped and told to come back in 3 months!

I didnt!

In denial I sought out various alternatives including acupuncture, boiling and drinking various nasty smelling Chinese herbs (which Iwas told to soak my feet in a couple of weeks later!) a chiropractor  whilst on vacation in Oz and a Timoney chiropractor in the UK, crystals, copper bracelets, herbal remedies, marijuana, thai massage, the list goes on.  And whilst I was doing this the pain worsened.

In June 2008 I conceded and went back to my consultant who slapped my wrist, put me back on the highest does of Methatraxate  and gave me, you guessed it, another steroid injection in my backside. I also continued taking the Diclofenac and Lansoprasol.

I then went to appointments every two months with accompanying butt shots! (By now the effects on lasted 6 weeks max!) My left shoulder was deteriorating at this time so I underwent keyhole surgery to remedy this as according to my consultant, the pain wasnt related to my PsA. (This joint is still one of the most painful to date!)

January 2009, moved to Leflunomide (Arava) as the Methatraxate hadnt worked.

July 2009, really bad wrists, the Leflunomide not working, steroid injections every 4 weeks which no longer seem to have any effect.  Being transferred from private health care to the NHS so I can go on a course of Humira.

So here I am, aching, p***** off, fed up with drugs that dont work and not looking forward to the prospect of ant-tnf therapy! Struggling to pick up my dog, who although slightly overweight is not exactly a  rottweiler (he's a cocker spaniel!)

I also recently try to give up smoking after 20 years. After 3 weeks, my aches and pains actually got worse and I never felt worse. I've now gone back to the cigarettes and bizarrely feel relatively better. I now know I can stop and will once I've beaten the PsA.

I recently came across you guys, bought the book, wrote to the only AP doctor in the UK and we will see where we go from here!

Thanks for reading my drivel, will keep updated if anyone interested

S 🙂 

hotspur2904
    Participant

Well I managed to convince both my rheumatologist and family doctor to put me on AP.

My rheumatologist whilst wanting to put me on Humira understood my concerns and has agreed that it would be worth trying AP.  She suggested a timescale of six months and we agreed on a year.  My GP is prescribing my drugs on the NHS and is very  interested in monitoring how I get on.

Ten days in and ten days after having a steroid injection, my pains returned after 3 days.  I am hoping this is a herx and I'm noting my pain levels. They're not getting any worse and I have been in more pain.

I feel very upbeat about my future and whilst I know this will take a while would rather be doing this than sticking a needle in my stomach every couple of weeks!!!

S 🙂

hotspur2904
    Participant

After struggling with a twice daily dose of 100mg Akemin, I gave myself a few days respite before starting on 100mg Sebomin MR on Monday.  I've also dropped the 90mg Arcoxia daily and gone back to 50mg Diclofenac x 3 daily.

I've also seen a Kinesiologist and I'm starting on several supplements as listed in my details below.

Last week I rated my pain level at 10/10 (based on my previous experience) and I would say at the moment it is 8-9/10.  Not sure whether this herxing or the fact that I'm not on any DMARD's at the moment, time will tell.

I keep telling myself that tomorrow's another day and that things will get better! 🙂

hotspur2904
    Participant

As a result of my recent visit to the only AP doctor in the UK, I have made some changes to my regime.

I have reduced my Minocycline MR dose to 100mg pulsed Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I am also going onto a course of IV antibiotics.

I'm still on 3 x 50mg diclofenac daily and due to my pain I am also now on 2 x 30mg Co-codamol 3-4 times a day.

I will update details of the IV dosage when I have more information.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.