Home Forums General Discussion Have a choice to make- need help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Devie
    Participant

My rheumo prescribed the monicin I need to start AP but he openly admitted he does not know enough about it to monitor or supervise me, or even to do the appropriate blood tests.

There are 2 docs in Co that do AP.  One is 2 hours away and admits he has only had 50% success with it.  He also pushed MTX on the initial phone call.  This guy takes my insurance.  The other guy does AO also but only knows about MP.  I am leaning more toward Brown, and he says he is not familiar with it; wont use it.

So- how do I proceed?

Please advise!

Gratefully, Devie

richie
    Participant

Hi

Seems to me –that since your rheumy is willing to prescribe –he can supervise you which really isnt much –If problems arise then you would have to change doctors –but it seems to me you can start with this rheumy —if you have RA –the regular battery of RA tests would be in order to mark progress –additionally –liver enzymes and two kidney function blood  tests should be taken every six months –liver is sgot and I think Alt –kidney is BUN and creatine —

richie

Devie
    Participant

But dont I have to be tested to see if I have the bacteria in the first place?  Or no?

linda
    Participant

I agree with Richie, there's information at this site for you and your doctor, even a physician's packet. Go to the home page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on education. You'll have to stand firm on the mtx, I'm afraid. Good luck,

linda

richie
    Participant

Hi

I was never tested for bacteria –and did extremely well

Richie

Devie
    Participant

Okay I feel encouraged- do you happen to know if there is any one on this site from Colorado?

BTW- Lawn Gisland- I'm from the Bronx!

Devie

richie
    Participant

Hi

So Am I –originally —-went to Taft HS —

Richie

suera
    Participant

i was never tested and to be frank my ap doc doesn't do much, she has my rheumy do all blood work so basically she just looks at my joints every so often.

sue

Devie
    Participant

Sue- the thing is how does my rheumy even know what blood tests to do?  Do I have to learn this and tell him.  I mean besides ESR, liver and kidney- what else does he need to look for.

I went to Monroe HS on Westchester Ave.  Grew up in Castle Hill proects, you?  Is it okay to hijack my own thread?

Devie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

“do you happen to know if there is any one on this site from Colorado?”

Yes, in fact we have an active Road Back Foundation voluteer in CO, here I here contact information.

CO
    Contact Joy Bush
    Email: joy@roadback@org

Cheryl F.

Devie
    Participant

Cheryl thanks so much.

I have emailed her but have not heard back.  Perhaps I will try again- I just don't want to nag :P….

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Devie:

Sometimes the bounce through email addresses fail, I will check it out to make sure it is working.

Cheryl F.

Devie
    Participant

Thanks Cheryl

BTW- your picture is beautiful; you and your daughter look like sisters. 

Devie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Sorry to admit this but it is sisters. On the right is Jess, age 17 at the time of the photo. On the left is Claire, 12 at the time of the photo. All I can say is that I USED TO look like them, now, not so much. Maybe someday again.

Cheryl

I can say that I am sure that I look as much like them as I have heard that Richie looks like his avatar picture. LOL!

Devie
    Participant

Mine are 14 & 23 (the older one has a baby on the way) and they dont look alike and I dont look like either of them…go figure!

I am hoping the Co connection gets back to me.  In the meantime, I think I have decided to go to the doc that is 2 hours a way from me.  He says he has had 50% success with AP but at least he recognizes it and will be able to assist me with Herx's, etc- if needed.  It just takes a lot of energy to keep educating my rheumy….

I was told to not start the minocin until after my first visit, and blood tests are done.  I guess so that they can then compare blood scores, etc.

I am looking forward to starting but am still pretty mild and functioning (although I hobble more than walk and used to be a runner- :() so I can wait another week or two.

Thanks all and keep those suggestions coming…as I tell my new RA friend, Pip- I promise to pay it forward!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Have a choice to make- need help’ is closed to new replies.