Home Forums General Discussion Has anyone gone into remission on generic minocycline?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Airen
    Participant

I just want to be sure you can on the generic. If so, how long did it take?

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Airen
    Participant

Also, why does it look like there are all sorts of places online to purchase minocin at reasonable prices. Is this illegal? It says prescription required. What is the deal with these websites?

http://www.canadianprescriptiondrugstore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1431798234&Store_Code=online_pharmacy&search=minocin&searchoffset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Airen;
    I have used Teva brand for the last decade and it works just fine.Total remission from SD.I am an archeologist and almost looked like one of the mummies I had worked on.It took less than 2 years to get my body back and almost 4 for my hands

jasregadoo

If you do a search for ‘Canadian’, you can see lots of people have used the Candian pharmacies in the past. I think they’ve had pretty good luck with it. I’m considering it myself, since you posted a good link with a good price. I would need to get my rx from the doctor, though, as they sent it straight to the pharmacy. Easy enough to do.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Airen,

Keep in mind that not all generics are equal. And the one you’re taking (Actavis/Watson) is one of the ones I avoid.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Airen
    Participant

Well, shoot Phil! Guess I should shop around. What generic brand do you recommend??

Started AP in June 2015

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I recommend considering the following minocycline generics:

Tablets
    Par, Ranbaxy

Capsules
    Ranbaxy, Teva

All of those are made in the U.S.; most of the other minocycline generics are made in India. I strongly prefer the minocycline tablets listed above because they do not contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. In addition, tablets must meet a slightly tighter standard than capsules, and their construction better protects their contents from the effects of oxygen than capsules do. Another advantage of tablets is that they can be cut in half, which is very handy for making dose adjustments.

In the U.S., minocycline tablets are a lot more expensive than the capsules, but since you have health insurance that probably won’t be a problem if you stick to the generics. To get minocycline tablets, your doctor needs to specify tablets on your prescription; otherwise, the pharmacy will most likely fill your prescription with capsules. You might be able to persuade the pharmacy to fill your prescription with tablets without your doctor specifying minocycline tablets on your prescription, but your insurance company may refuse to pay for them (since they cost more and the doctor didn’t request them).

I listed Teva capsules above because they are made in the U.S., and some people have had good results with them. However, I do not like them because they contain several dyes, including a red dye that many people are allergic to. Ranbaxy capsules are the only ones I know of that don’t contain any dyes.

To get your preferred generic, you will have to watch your pharmacy like a hawk. It helps if the doctor specifies your preferred generic on the prescription, but I’ve found that even that is not enough to guarantee that the pharmacist will fill the prescription with that particular generic. Here’s my solution: I always talk to the pharmacist (or a pharmacy technician) every time my mino prescription is filled, before it is filled. It’s also a good idea to also ask someone at the pharmacy which generic they used to fill your prescription before you pay for it. That way, if they didn’t fill your prescription correctly you can reject it and make them do it over.

NOTE: The tablets listed above are not an extended-release formulation. Extended-release minocycline tablets are not bioequivalent to Minocin.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.