Home Forums General Discussion Hand Surgery on Friday

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Parisa
    Participant

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.  It turned out to be a very long surgery.  The surgeon had originally predicted 2-3 hours and it ended up going for 5 hours as there was so much damage.  All of the extensor tendons that lead into the wrist and then from there go into the fingers were ruptured except for the one that goes to the pinkie.  The pinkie of course is one of the least useful fingers unless you want to point it when you drink tea!  The hope is that he will be able to lift the fingers although lifting individual fingers in order to keyboard will probably not happen.  After the surgery the surgeon mentioned that he may have to have a follow up surgery for scar tissue and I wasn't clear on whether it is for the old scar tissue or the new or maybe both.  I'm sure more of this will be cleared up at the post op and when I see the surgical report.

They gave my husband a nerve block so he could have a lighter sedation and he also has a temporary catheter that they put in under the collarbone that is hooked up to a pump that pumps a constant flow of pain meds.  My husband was debating whether or not to have it as he didn't like the idea of having the pump around  his waist for a couple of days.  (I was really glad when he decided to go for it as it saved me making him do it.)  Even with the pain pump and Vicodin he's had quite a bit of pain so I can't imagine what this would have been like without it. 

When we consulted with the anaesthesiologist he said he wouldn't use a certain drug due to the myositis.  I wish I had caught the name but at least I know that there is something out there they use for anaesthesia that is contraindcated for myositis and to ask about it in the future.

Today's my son's birthday and my husband tried to convince me last week that he would be up and able to go to a restaurant to celebrate.  He's now admitted that that would have been too much.  I  have to go frost the cake and wrap presents – life goes on!

Thank you once again for your kind thoughts and words.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Me too Parisa.  How is hubby?

Maz
    Keymaster

Parisa, so glad to hear hubby got through the surgery okay. Please send best wishes to him for a swift, full recovery and tell him we expect to see a picture of him soon with his pinkie in the air drinking a cuppa! 😉

Peace, Maz 

luvmywonderfulkids
    Participant

Parisa,

so happy to hear that your husband's surgery went well.

Sue

mschmidt
    Participant

I hope the surgery was successful. Hang in there, and let us know how things went.

Maria

Kim
    Participant

Parisa,

I'm so sorry you had another rough day with the surgery.  You have to be the rock right now when I'm sure you could use a little time to just check out and regroup.  Sending you positive vibes that when it all heals up your hubby will have good function in all the treated areas of his hands………….gosh, that sounds like a complicated surgery. 😯

Hang in there, friend.  We would all be in a world of hurt without those close to us that have helped us through some dark days. From the sickies to the caregivers ~ we ARE grateful even when we're surly, mean, and less than charming. 😕  Your children have learned first-hand what families do for one another, an invaluable lesson. 😉

If I lived closer I take you out for a mini-break over a glass of wine.  Stay strong.  Hugs.

Take care…..kim

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes Parisa, sorry that was such a rough and long day for you both. It would be great for you to have just a little break now. Kim may be a little too far away – anyone closer that could share that glass with you? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Lynnie and Kim

It would be nice if we all lived closer and could actually meet in person.  Maybe someday.  Anytime you can make it to San Diego, you're welcome in my house. 

As far as a glass of wine , we might have to exchange that for something boring like a mineral water as I don't drink.  At times I've thought that was good because these past few years might have sent me over the deep end with the alcohol and at other times I've thought was too bad as maybe a drink might have done me good.  I have a good replacement though, my regular Monday walk with my neighbor.    As I'm sure you all know, it takes something like this to find out who your real friends are.  Some that weren't there for us weren't a surprise but there were a couple that were suprises.  This friend I could call in the middle of the night and tell her we were headed to the hospital and she would take care of my kids without question.  So tomorrow I can tell her of the trauma of sitting in a waiting room really, really, really needing to use the restroom but being afraid to leave for 2 minutes because the surgeon would probably choose right then to come in and talk, not find me and leave.  And also pushing away the fear that maybe something had gone wrong in the surgery and they were now working on more than the hand.  Two extra hours of surgery is alot of time for an overactive imagination and bladder…

Randy
    Participant

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

As I'm sure you all know, it takes something like this to find out who your real friends are.

Yes, Parisa.  I think we all do know who are true friends are as a result of our tough times. I will say that I'm sure we have all found true caring friends on this site.

Hang in there you two.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[user=13]Parisa[/user] wrote:

Hi Lynnie and Kim

It would be nice if we all lived closer and could actually meet in person.  Maybe someday.  Anytime you can make it to San Diego, you're welcome in my house. 

Yes that would be lovely. I had the absolute pleasure of getting to meet Maz and Cheryl F when I was in the U.S. in late 2008 and I would love to meet the two of you………Northern or Southern hemisphere, maybe one day. Take care of yourself, Parisa, sounds like you need it right now. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

Parisa,

Everyone needs a go-to friend like that. 😉  I'm happy for you that yours is so close.

When my best friend's daughter was dying of cancer last fall we usually met at the house, but occasionally we went to a restaurant and we must have freaked out our poor waiter because at first we'd be fine then he'd come back and we'd be crying.  Poor guy!

Sending positive vibes your way that the surgery was a success and that you can continue to find strength you didn't even know you had. 😉

Take care…..kim

Roz
    Participant

Parisa,

From my experience a good surgeon will not stop till he has done the best he can do. In other words do everything he can do  to get it right.

Do you know if while he was opened up if they put antibiotic. on the tendons?

x Roz

Parisa
    Participant

Roz,

My husband's surgeon said that it's good for your doctor to be interested in you and he found my husband's case very interesting.  As you said, the doctors don't stop until they've done everything they can.  I'm sure that's why the surgery took so long.  I have alot of experience with doctors and I'm very comfortable with him.  I'm not aware of any antibiotics being placed directly on the tendons.  I'm sure alot will be cleared up at the post op appointment.

Patti D
    Participant

Parisa,
    I too am sending speedy recovery wishes for your husband. I am grateful his surgery went well even though it was long. May you too have some break time with those enjoyable walks with your friend!! sounds like a great stress reliever.

Hugs
    Patti

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ Hand Surgery on Friday’ is closed to new replies.