Home Forums General Discussion Gluten Free Flour Mixes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kater
    Participant

I guess this is slightly off topic but I hope useful to someone. 😀
    I thought I would post my favourite gluten free flour mixes because they bake so well–no more cardboard! Commercial mixes are so pricey and never seem to work as well as when I mix my own.

This one I use for everything. I keep it in the fridge as the brown rice can go rancid.
    3 cups brown rice flour
    1 cup potato starch (if off nightshade use arrowroot)
    1/2 cup tapicoca starch
    4 tsp guar gum
    If I am using it for muffins or heavier things I add some rice bran for fibre.
    Just mix and store for use in all your favourite recipes.

This one I use for breads or savory muffins:
    1 cup brown rice flour
    1 cup chickpea flour
    1 cup tapioca or arrowroot
    1 TBSP guar gum

If you are on grain free:
    1 cup chickpea flour
    1 cup tapioca or arrowroot
    2 tsp guar gum

If you can tolerate gluten free oats you can use about 1/3 cup of that to 2/3 cup of these mixes as it bakes nicely but not great for everyone.

I have a good recipe for grainfree bread that I will PM if you are interested.
    Also while I am food blogging, take a look at alkalinesisters website. I have posted it before but it is just beautiful and full of truly inspiring ideas and recipes.
    So excited about all the summer veggies!
    cheers
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Dawn
    Participant

Kater,

Very nice! I would LOVE the bread receipe PM’d to me – a lover of bread and a “hurter” at not being able to have it!

Fresh, homebaked bread for homemade lentil soups etc. simply cannot be beat!

Please send over as time allows!
    Best (in baking),
    Dawn

DawnF

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Kate;
    Do you have a recipe for a flour mixthat does not have chickpea flour as I can’t eat any legumes either.Corn is also a No No
    Lynne

kater
    Participant

check out the first one there Lynne–I posted 3. That one with brown rice, potato or arrowroot and tapioca and guar is my staple mix. The chickpea ones I just use for breads, pizza and things
    cheers
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

tbird2340
    Participant

Thanks for the post! Please post the bread recipe.. Would love to be able to eat sandwiches (and get them down! 🙂

Thanks!!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Kate;
    You may kick me in the butt.I forgot to mention that nightshades are a big NO_NO,especially spuds.Her is my forbidded list.
    Anything “cow”
    Nightshades
    Citrus
    Asperigus
    Anything from sugar cane
    Grapes
    Legumes
    Anything with vit.d so no fish or sea food,eggs as D1,25 is 3 times too high
    There are a couple more that I won’t think of until I open the fridge or pantry.GOD!!!this heat is killing my brain,with humidity today we should be 40something in the shade.

kater
    Participant

Dawn and Tom sent you a PM with the recipe. Lynne, the first recipe should be okay for you. Use the brown rice, then the arrowroot, then tapioca–or you could just try 1 and a half cups of either arrowroot or tapioca. You will have to satisfy yourself about which binder to use. There is only 4 tsp of it in a whole recipe so not sure how particular you need to be –very personal. Guar gum is from legume family–bean seed. You could use xanthan gum also but that is from corn which is out for lots of people. Agar is something that might work–that is from algae. You can make the mix with no binder added but it tends to be more crumbly as you know. Tapioca is from the spurge family, and arrowroot is from the ginger family so hope this is okay for you. This is my favourite GF mix as it works for everything–you can even make muffins without eggs
    hope it works for you
    send me a message anytime! I am doing well but a slow row to hoe as you know
    cheers
    kate

Krys
    Participant

Thank you, Kate!
    I’ll try the first recipe (arrowroot instead of potato flour) and hope it will work for me once my present flare is over.
    I have all the ingredients at home but must have combined them wrong because the mix I ended up with was inferior to store bought one with Xanthan gum (I’m allergic to corn, so it was a disappointment when a “No corn” mix actually contained it).
    Warm wishes, Krys

Dawn
    Participant

Kate, Received (and responded) to your PM! Gratefully and then some!

Dawn 😛

DawnF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.