Home Forums General Discussion Generic not working – Help with finding pelleted Minocin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Roberta
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I was successfully in remission while on Brand Minocin (since 2014!!) and then Aknemin which I was purchasing thru Northwest Pharmacy (I live in US). I am currently in the worst flare after running out and stopping for 4 weeks trying to reorder unsuccessfully. I started Teva minocycline the generic and now after 6 weeks on it, it’s not helping! I’m wondering if I can somehow purchase the Aknemin or another pelleted version of Mincoin from another source?? Can anyone help??

Thank you,
    Roberta

Roberta
    Participant

Also, just a brief add-on…Is anyone aware of the equivalent of Brand Minocin being made in other countries ? Do you have the actual names and is there any way we can purchase them from another country?? Thanks again!!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Roberta;
    It is becoming harder and harder to get a good generic even here in Canada.Our Teva has been very good but they no longer make Mino and there is very little doxy left in their warehouse.About all we will be able to get is APOTEX that does not work for most SDers.
    Read the posts below as Phil,our antibiotic guru has info there.

cosmo
    Participant

Hi Roberta, I buy a pelleted Minocin through buylowdrugs.com. It has worked very well for me.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Roberta,

It’s the quality that matters, not the pellets. You don’t have to accept the generic the pharmacy used to fill your prescription — you can request that they fill it with a different generic, or transfer your prescription to a different pharmacy. Consider asking the pharmacy to fill your prescription with minocycline tablets instead of capsules, and preferably tablets made by Par or Torrent. Although the tablets are more expensive, they contain no corn starch and no synthetic dyes. And both of those (Par and Torrent) are made in the U.S. I have used both of those generics and was satisfied with their quality. Vinny also had good results with Par and Ranbaxy (now Torrent) minocycline tablets, despite having unsatisfactory results from powder-filled capsules.

What do the capsules you are taking look like? Are they grey and yellow, and have “DAN 5695” printed on them?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Roberta
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    After running out of the Brand Minocin I currently have Teva minocycline capsules (it’s a powder inside). These are what are not working for me. They are orange and blue with Novo 100 written on the caps. Do you know anything about the Minocin MR from the UK? It’s sold as Brand Minocin and is pelleted. I’m going to try that next. The problem may be that there is short supply.

Cosmo,
    I did find the Minocin MR from buylowdrugs and they said they have a limited supply which expires in April. I just ordered that and will hope they last a bit beyond that date and that they work!!! How long have you been taking this brand Cosmo?

Thank you both for your help!!

Roberta

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Roberta,

Oh, I see. Those are Teva-Minocycline from Canada. I thought you’d had your prescription filled by a local pharmacy.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Thought I’d report in on my experience. I, too, have had no luck with generic. Lost access to brand Minocin April 2018. Tried Par generic tablets with no success. Thought that Torrent generic had worked for me in the past when I took it for a few weeks so I went to that. After six months it was still not working so I switched to Zydus (formerly Teva). Tried it for 6 months and not only did I continue to decline but Zydus gave me pretty severe bowel difficulties. So I went back to Torrent. It’s not that Torent doesn’t work. It’s that Torrent doesn’t work very well. I was able to take Minocin 1xday with great success. So, I figured I’d try Torrent 2xday. Didn’t help. I’ve now ordered MinocinMR from buylowdrugs in Canada hoping that will work. I’ll report back and hope you all do the same.

Cindy

Roberta
    Participant

Cosmo, That’s really encouraging news. I hope it will work that way for me too! I was also down to 100mg on M-W-F on the Minocin and I was feeling fantastic. If I only knew back then that it would be so difficult to find now, I would have stocked up. I tried the lectin free route for about a month but cannot say it made a difference for me? Ive been gluten and grain free for a number of years now. I’m thinking about doing some kind of test that shows food and other sensitivities but haven’t researched enough to know the best ones.

Roberta
    Participant

CMS12, I can imagine the frustration. Yes, let’s keep each other updated! Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.