Home Forums General Discussion Generic doxycycline tablets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

Anyone taking generic doxycycline tablets instead of capsules? I know that Doryx comes in tablet form and Vibramycin comes in several forms, including tablets. That leads me to wonder if there are pharmaceutical companies producing generic doxycycline in tablet form.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

By the way, this is what got me thinking about doxy and dosage forms:
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/rheumatic/message/49446

I stumbled upon that post last night, and it really set the “gears” in my brain a'spinning. 😀

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Phil,

I went to take a read and found that it was a yahoogroup that required membership. Is there any way to get permission to post the message here or just a link to an article?

Peace, Maz

PhilC
    Participant

Rather than post the whole message here, I'll just post a snippet that contains the most relevant part:

Within 6 months I had no reactions to any foods, no flares at all, and was taking the Minocin only Monday thru Friday, resting my liver and kidneys on the weekends. All was wonderful. Then I started getting a joint pain…not a flare, a pain. Minocin will do that, sometimes. So the Dr. switched me to Vibramycin. No problem, the joint problem faded slowly away, all was good. Then I switched to a generic tablet. Still good. Then to a generic capsule (my local pharmacy did not carry the tablets). AFter about six weeks on the capsules, I had a flare. Then, another. I hastily switched back to Minocin…flares stopped, but another joint started swelling. So back to the doxycycline…until just a month ago, when I realized it was the switch to CAPSULES that precipitated the return of the RA symptoms.

Since this person didn't say what company made the tablets or capsules, we don't know if the switch to capsules was really the culprit since they may have been made by two different manufacturers. Nevertheless, this post led to me wonder if I might have better success with generic doxycycline tablets. Actually, I was hoping that some of the generic doxycycline tablets on the market might be made by Pfizer (maker of Vibramycin) or Warner-Chilcott (maker of Doryx). I kind of doubt that that's the case, but I can dream can't I? 😀

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Trudi
    Participant

Phil–

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

That is a very good quote in your signature line–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Davit
    Participant

Maz.

It doesn't cost any thing to join Yahoo groups. But I had to quit. The cronic complainers were filling my mail with trash over riding every thing else. I believe you can join and read on the web only, if you want to. I also used an alternate address but some how Yahoo has my primary and I don't like that.
    The internet is a great source of information but you do have to sift out those that are only barking to hear themselves. Much like what I am doing right now.
    I'd best go do something constructive before I become annoying.

Davit.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

I'd best go do something constructive before I become annoying.

You make me smile with your comments–that's being constructive!! 🙂

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Davit
    Participant

Trudi

Are you sure it's not just the raisin gin. Are you having trouble like me finding places and times to take all this stuff. I have so much that can't be taken together and then theres the stuff with food and stuff without. Even some of the vitamins have to be seperate.
    I take my minocin with a cup of tea in the morning while I check my mail then starts the juggling act. Some times its late before I can go to bed because I have some anti biotic for some other infection that has to be taken. I get a little silly when I'm tired. Got to go look up that raisin gin.

Davit.

PhilC
    Participant

It doesn't cost any thing to join Yahoo groups. But I had to quit. The cronic complainers were filling my mail with trash over riding every thing else. I believe you can join and read on the web only, if you want to. I also used an alternate address but some how Yahoo has my primary and I don't like that.

Yes, you can definitely read the messages on the web, much like a discussion forum. That's what I do. Unfortunately, some group owners don't like to see people join with the “Web Only” option and they may boot you out. The reason is it makes you look like you might be a spammer. Because of that, I always select the “Special Notices” option and have never had a problem (that I know of).

I also don't like Yahoo having my primary e-mail address so I never, ever give it to them. There are lots of places to sign up for a free e-mail address, so I always have several. If Yahoo ever asks me for an alternate e-mail address, I give them one of the free ones.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Trudi
    Participant

Are you sure it's not just the raisin gin. :roll-laugh:

Are you having trouble like me finding places and times to take all this stuff.

Hi Davit–

Thanks for another laugh!!

Actually, I don't have a problem with the supps/meds.  When I get up I take a probiotic; at breakfast I take my Biaxin, the Artimisinin, the magnesium and the iodine.  I stopped taking the homeopathic and the Spiro for a bit to see if it helps my BP.  I don't think it's the Spiro, though, because I have taken it for quite a bit.  Two hours after breakfast I take another probiotic–do the same two hours after lunch and before I go to bed. At supper I take the folic acid, some more magnesium, iodine and the Artimisinin.  Two hours after that I take the Omnicef antibiotic.  Oh, yeah, I also take the raisin/gin remedy in the a.m. :).

I think I'm doing OK.  Always a little worried about the magnesium, but it doesn't seem to be contraindicated with the Biaxin.

Take care,

Trudi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Generic doxycycline tablets’ is closed to new replies.