Home Forums General Discussion For Anybody Considering AP with Dr S in IA

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ariel
    Participant

I also think it’s great that you got such great results using yogurt and flax. I’ve done so much reading and research and realize there’s so many different “good” options. At the end of the day, it’s about finding what works for you. So, that’s kind of what I did. I talked with a few people on the McDougall site that had rheumatoid disease and had gotten such great results with just changing their diets, etc.

I appreciate you sharing your story. Good for you!

Amelia
    Participant

We recently visited Dr. S.and the wonderful team at Horn Hospital. We took our son, age 15, for the IV infusions and I am so grateful we did. He has tested positive for CREST for the past 3.5 years and has been on the Methotrexate, Celebrex, Enbrel and Humira. For the past year he has only taken 100mg of minocycline 3x week and his pain is much more controlled.

It was powerful and reassuring to spend time with Dr. S. and benefit from his level of experience. If you are considering visiting Ida Grove, I feel confident you will not be disappointed. My son’s pain has gone down considerably and I am more hopeful than ever that he will reach full remission.

Doc’s full name removed as per Guidelines. Thanks for your understanding. RBFV

m.
    Participant

@Ariel wrote:

I follow the McDougall diet. Here are a couple of links as to why oils are not used.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/nutrition-topics/vegetable-fish-oils/

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/aug/oils.htm

This is a diet I’ve followed since September 1st. I fell off of it while I was on vacation last week and will be returning to this way of eating tomorrow. I realize there are many other beneficial ways of eating. This is just the way that I decided to follow because there are others with rheumatoid diseases that use this way of eating (video and written testimonies are on the site) and it just seems to work well for me.

There are so many exciting discoveries about what lives in our gut & it’s relation to our immune system. I would not be surprised if we are able to confirm one day that the McDougall diet is effective for so many because the high volume of plant matter is providing fermentable fibers to the microbes in the colon, favorably shifting the %s in the commensal microbial community.

m.
    Participant

@Amelia wrote:

We recently visited Dr. S. and the wonderful team at Horn Hospital. We took our son, age 15, for the IV infusions and I am so grateful we did. He has tested positive for CREST for the past 3.5 years and has been on the Methotrexate, Celebrex, Enbrel and Humira. For the past year he has only taken 100mg of minocycline 3x week and his pain is much more controlled.

It was powerful and reassuring to spend time with Dr. S. and benefit from his level of experience. If you are considering visiting Ida Grove, I feel confident you will not be disappointed. My son’s pain has gone down considerably and I am more hopeful than ever that he will reach full remission.

Amelia, that is wonderful news for you & your boy! Thank you for sharing!

A Friend
    Participant

@Amelia wrote:

We recently visited Dr. S and the wonderful team at Horn Hospital. We took our son, age 15, for the IV infusions and I am so grateful we did. He has tested positive for CREST for the past 3.5 years and has been on the Methotrexate, Celebrex, Enbrel and Humira. For the past year he has only taken 100mg of minocycline 3x week and his pain is much more controlled.

Amelia, I’m so happy for you and your teenage son. And, so happy to read another positive story. Sharing our stories, like this reach other people, and parents of young patients, who are desperately looking for encouragement.

Wish we could all get together some place for an event to honor Dr. S’s life while he is still with us!!! May his tribe increase!!!

AF

Amelia
    Participant

We had an amazing experience visiting Dr. S. and the team at Horn Hospital. The visit truly exceeded our expectations. We were there November 20-25, 2014 to treat our son’s JIA, CREST, PsA – his pain has gotten several labels over the years.

Meeting Dr. S. was a gift I will treasure – his kind demeanor, humble confidence and decades of experience with the antibiotic protocol was reassuring to our family. Our son has struggled with arthritis for the past 4 years, he is now winning the battle.

The hospital does bill insurance carriers. We haven’t received the bill yet so I am not sure what will be covered -this seems to vary from plan to plan. Dr. S. codes the IV treatment as treatment for an infection which is exactly what he believes is happening. With this coding I am hopeful the insurance company will cover much of the cost.

Physician’s full name removed as per Forum Guidelines. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1
    Please use initials only. Thanks for your understanding. RBFV

tbird2340
    Participant

So for those that have gone to him for their RA.. Does he basically do the same for each patient? A week of IV’s?

If someone could elaborate I’d be grateful.. I go to a DR who is willing to do things and if it’s IV’s and that’s it I may ask him to do so.

Thanks much!

-Tom

Amelia
    Participant

We visited Dr. S in November and just got the bill. Unfortunately our insurance declined the claim (the hospital was out of network), the bill was $3200. Thankfully we are able to make payments over 3 years. It has been totally worth it for us. I had called Dr. S several times before the visit (no charge) and have called/emailed him since (no charge). We don’t expect to have to visit a doctor anytime soon for Kyle – we can do all consults over the phone.
    We were paying well over $200 month for copays for his previous meds (metho, Celebrex and Humira) and visiting the rheumy every 3 months (4 hour round trip drive). Now we pay about $10/month for a copay, $100 payment to hospital in Iowa and most importantly Kyle is feeling so much better (testing ANA negative).
    For us, taking Kyle to a doctor that has treated patients for decades with AP and being able to personally thank Dr. S was priceless.

cavalier
    Participant

Some insurance he takes depends on which it is. A quick phone call to his office will tell you. Insurance may not pay 100% but a good deal of it.

Jill

sunny22
    Participant

Dr S has a heart of gold. Everything is billed thru Horne Hospital. If you contact your ins co. You can find out if the hospital is in your network. They take most major insurances. For those considering going, the basic protocol is a visit with dr S on the first day. He will do the basic blood work, inc mycoplasma test if you haven’t had one done., also urine spec. Then you will have 2 iv clindys spaced out about 8hrs or what ever he recommends to you for 5 days. The hospital is open 24/7 so you can do your ivs anytime. If it is your first visit w him, he likes you to be thereon a monday morning to get started. After your first trip there, you can schedule your next trip any time during the week generally. You can even do 3 ivs in a day if your schedule doesnt allow you to be in IDA for the full 5days. After the last iv, you will have your final consult. If you want to have a copy of your labs,get them from the hospital a couple days after the draw. The mycoplasma test takes longer as he waits for a batch, then sends them away. As someone mentioned, he files this as an infection, which it is. If you need your treatment tailored differently, he does that. He is so helpful to his patients that for many of the pplwho have to travel a long distance, he offers to send everything you need to do the ivs at home after your first trip. This man is a rarity and a godsend for so many. I pray he has many, many years of good health. And if you dont leave ida grove with a couple of new lifelong friends, i would be surprised. It is small town hospitality at its best ( very small). You can also ask to see his vineyard, he is quite a master of grapes! My only regret is that there isnt an airport closer. When you are ill and doing this on your own it can be tough( also time of year). If considering dr s, dont wait too long. We had all talked to him about training a replacement. At the time, he couldnt find anyone. His daughter is a doc also but works in a big city. We tried to encourage him to have her continue the operation in her hospital so she could stay where she was, lol! And it would be easier to get to her, travelwise. We tried and we hope the legend lives on:)) Sunny

A Friend
    Participant

@Ariel wrote:

I also think it’s great that you got such great results using yogurt and flax. I’ve done so much reading and research and realize there’s so many different “good” options. At the end of the day, it’s about finding what works for you. So, that’s kind of what I did. I talked with a few people on the McDougall site that had rheumatoid disease and had gotten such great results with just changing their diets, etc.

I appreciate you sharing your story. Good for you!

Ariel, just an emphasis… and clarification… that the important ingredient in this combination is not “flax” but “flaxseed oil” (refrigerated, unrefined, containing all of the Essential Fatty Acids from “Mother Nature” — when I began using flaxseed oil, I chose the refrigerated Flora brand, and continue using it today. This is one of several very important links found more recently that I think could be important for all of us to read and save, as it seems to say this formula can repair faulty DNA or damaged genes:
    http://www.budwigcenter.com/

Best to you all,
    AF

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.