Home Forums General Discussion Food Poisoning as a Trigger

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kat0605
    Participant

Has there been research on untreated food poisoning eventually triggering a rheumatic reaction in people with certain genetic dispositions? I was just thinking today about the food poisoning I got on my honeymoon in Greece in September 2015. One month later I was pregnant and miscarried. Immediately following my D&C I dealt with a pelvic inflammatory infection, had horrible aversion to lights and insomnia, got pregnant again, miscarried, developed difficulty swallowing and other seeming unrelated issues that all eventually led to neuropathy, sicca, skin tightening, and all kinds if other weird things. I’ve been diagnosed with Lyme, but I have always thought of it as a general systemic infection and not specifically related to a tick-bite.

Anyway, I googled it and came across this https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/food-poisonings-hidden-legacy/. I am just curious if anyone has had similar thoughts at all. It would seem not unlikely that the body would not be able to completely rid itself of the bacteria.

Symptoms started in 9/16 after 2 miscarriages, diagnosed with Lyme 4/17, Daughter born 6/17 (not breastfeeding). ANA negative by IFA as of 8/17, positive by ELISA with positive Anti-DSDNA antibodies the same month (false positive?). Symptoms that have come and gone include sicca and skin tightening and telangiactiasia. Currently dealing with migraines, arthralgia, morning stiffness, neuropathy, slight swelling, slightly elevated liver enzymes, and bubbly urine. Current protocol: minocycline 100 mg QID, azi

Kat0605
    Participant

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3191723/ of the Walkerton e-coli breakout that the article mentioned and found this fascinating: Receptors for E coli O157:H7 Shiga toxins reside in the kidney, and exposure can cause both renal and vascular injury resulting in haemolytic-uraemic syndrome,14 but also a subtle nephron loss15 and systemic endothelial dysfunction,16 a key variable in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease.

I am not the most well read on scleroderma, but correct me if I am wrong- systemic endothelial dysfunction can lead to scleroderma, right? I am pretty sure that it could cause the peripheal neuropathy that has been the worst of my symptoms. This is fascinating to me.

Symptoms started in 9/16 after 2 miscarriages, diagnosed with Lyme 4/17, Daughter born 6/17 (not breastfeeding). ANA negative by IFA as of 8/17, positive by ELISA with positive Anti-DSDNA antibodies the same month (false positive?). Symptoms that have come and gone include sicca and skin tightening and telangiactiasia. Currently dealing with migraines, arthralgia, morning stiffness, neuropathy, slight swelling, slightly elevated liver enzymes, and bubbly urine. Current protocol: minocycline 100 mg QID, azi

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Yes, it was my understanding that a range of infections could indeed be triggers for rheumatic disease.

I read a book that came out a few months ago, called big chicken, about antibiotic use in the meat industry. It had a section that outlined the matter that pathogens we pick up from food can become chronic infections and migrate from our guts to other other parts like lungs, urinary tracts etc and that many of these infections are antibiotic resistant (resistance having been evolved in the original host animals being fed antibiotics on the factory farms). Like the article you linked suggests, it’s a much more widespread problem than is commonly recognized because it’s rarely put together that these varied chronic problems originated with contaminated food.

Halloween has passed but if you’re still in the mood for a good scare, may I recommend the most frightening
    book I’ve read since The Hot Zone: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Chicken-Incredible-Antibiotics-Agriculture/dp/1426217668

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

richie
    Participant

KAT –Did I read you take 100 mg 4 times daily ???? -Is that correct ???If so -that most likely is the reason for elevated liver enzymes –

Kat0605
    Participant

Ha! No- I should update that. I actually am only taking 100 mg a day of mino. I cut down from twice a day and removed a few other supplements and that seemed to do the trick- just had bloodwork done this week and liver enzymes are back within normal range. Not even high normal range. I do have elevated B-12 which is troubling, but I am hoping it’s b/c of my prenatal- my folate is also very high and I hear that can raise your b-12 levels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.