Home Forums General Discussion Food and AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

As some of you know I had my first dose of mino yesterday and tomorrow will continue. I have read some posts on food and minocin and I have some specific questions.

1) I plan to take my first dose tomorrow when I wake up along with my morning coffee with non-dairy creamer. The bottle says it contains “dipotassium phosphate.” Is this a problem? I though potassium was a mineral? I'm talking about the Nestle Coffeemate creamer. I thought I could substitute this for milk but now I am not so sure?

2) Am I making a mistake by having coffee with the mino? Am I likely to be nauseated? The reason I ask is I have about a 25 minute drive to work and getting sick in the car would be a real drag. I wonder if there are folks who do this regularly and can give input? And as far as getting on the road without my morning coffee…well, we won't go there 😉

3) Going grocery shopping tonight was quite an experience, trying to find things that don't have iron, calcium, magnesium, etc. It seems that all foods have some of these things. I was wondering if people who have had success on minocin could advise as to what foods they have regularly had within 2 hours of mino and felt were not interfering with absorption. This is quite a challenge, especially that 4 hour window in the middle of the day, as I am a daylong snacker.

Thanks!

richie
    Participant

Hi–why not just take the med two hours after breakfast ??
    richie

redrock
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi–why not just take the med two hours after breakfast ??
    richie

Because one four hour window a day is enough! I wanted to take advantage of the free 2 hours that occur while I'm sleeping.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=2547]redrock[/user] wrote:

1) I plan to take my first dose tomorrow when I wake up along with my morning coffee with non-dairy creamer. The bottle says it contains “dipotassium phosphate.” Is this a problem? I though potassium was a mineral? I'm talking about the Nestle Coffeemate creamer. I thought I could substitute this for milk but now I am not so sure?

It's funny, just yesterday I was thinking that someone would probably ask about potassium or sodium. 😀

It shouldn't be a problem. I don't have time to explain why right now, though. I'll get back to you on that later (probably tomorrow).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

m.
    Participant

I have always taken my Doxy with a little food, and paid little attention to what type of food it was.

Just lazy, I guess.

anno
    Participant

I take mino 1st thing in the am with a cup of tea, & then eat about a half hour after that. That's what my doc said would be ok, & it has been. I find that if I go longer than an hour without food after taking it, I feel a bit queasy. I don't worry about the mineral thing either.

PhilC
    Participant

Returning to the question about potassium, the reason that potassium shouldn't be a problem is because when a potassium salt is dissolved in water the potassium is in the form of monovalent cations. In other words, ions with a single positive charge. The elements that can bind with the tetracycline antibiotics are those that can form divalent cations (ions with a 2+ charge) and/or trivalent cations (ions with a 3+ charge), such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, and aluminum (aka aluminium). That is not an all-inclusive list, just some examples.

Some relevant reading material:
    DI-TRIVALENT CATIONS/TETRACYCLINES
    Severe Interaction: Tetracyclines/Di-Trivalent Cations

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Thanks. So the main things to be concerned with are calcium and iron? So I guess eggs for breakfast would be ok within the 2 hours.

Joe RA
    Participant

I take my first pulse dose of antibiotic at 10 to 11pm the night before, like Sunday for my First Monday dose just , before I go to bed. When I get up I have my breakfast and/or take my other med's and supp's, then 2 hours before lunch I have my final dose of antibiotic for the day. I find this gives me a good “4 hour window” I hope this helps Joe

redrock
    Participant

You take it before bed? I thought this was a bad idea because you are supposed to remain upright for 2 hours to prevent esophageal burning.

PhilC
    Participant

If you simply avoid foods that have minerals (usually calcium and/or iron) added to them, you should be fine. Basically, stick to foods in their natural form and avoid processed foods like breakfast cereals, bread, crackers, noodles, soy milk, etc. By the way, foods that list “enriched” flour as an ingredient contain added iron.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Joe RA
    Participant

I should have said 15 min before I go to bed , I never had a problem with anything taking it like this.  Peoples systems are not the same as others.                                

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Joe – probably not a good idea to continue to do that or to recommend that others do. There are warnings not to do that, I believe, in the packs. Oesophogul burning is a real and serious issue, most often caused by patients lying down too soon after taking one of the tetracycline drugs. Lynnie

(1) Tetracycline, minocycline, and doxycycline are the most common antibiotics that cause esophagitis. (2,3) Doxycycline in particular has been reported to cause MIE. (4-7) The mechanism of injury is usually the result of prolonged contact of the caustic medication with the esophageal mucosa. (2,3) Generally, there is a degree of esophageal retention of capsules or pills that occurs in normal individuals. However, lack of an adequate liquid bolus or a prolonged period in a recumbent position enhances pill retention and increases the risk of esophagitis, a sequence confirmed by numerous case reports. (2-7) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PDG/is_3_5/ai_n16120892/

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi:  Lynnie ……… I was just telling Redrock (what I did) to get a 4 hr window so they can make a plan for them to use, no recommendation was made . I have been doing it my way for a good four years and never a problem, I have never taken mino and gone right to bed , this is what I believe should not be done. I can find nothing saying how long one has to wait to lie down after taking one of the cyclines. If this is so important, why is it not on my precription bottles with the other warnings. I believe 15 minutes is plenty of time to wait before going to bed. Good Night To All.  Joe    

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Joe – apologies if I implied that you had recommended this. I would say that only leaving a 15 min window for you is probably risking esophagul issues. I believe the instructions that come with the tetras say to not lie down for half an hour after taking. Many AP docs/LLMD's believe this is insufficient – Maz's very experienced LLMD is one of them. Lynnie

Minocycline (all the tetracyclines, actually) can be very erosive to the [highlight= #ffff88]esophagus[/highlight], so it's recommended that you sit upright for a good hour or two after taking it. If a cap doesn't quite make it into the stomach, it can cause severe esophageal burning and erosions that my doc warned would need emergency care. Even if it makes it to the stomach, after dissolving, any leakage back into the [highlight= #ffff88]esophagus[/highlight] (reflux) can be quite damaging….one of the reasons to also space it a couple hours after eating. 
    I err on the side of caution and give it two hours before bed, taken with a full glass of water on an empty stomach, to make sure it to goes down. http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=232&forum_id=1&highlight=esophagus

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ Food and AP’ is closed to new replies.