Home Forums General Discussion fluid retention in legs with scleroderma

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JOJO19551
    Participant

Hello All. I have been doing very well with my scleroderma, then suddenly I started retaining fluid in my legs/ankles again. I started my infrared sauna again and my light therapy. I do not take a calcium channel blocker and take grape seed 100 mg per day. Any suggestions to help get rid of the fluid. I use my sauna twice a week; maybe I should do more. Your adivse is appreciated. Thanks, JoAnn

Kim
    Participant

Hi JoAnn,

Yes, I had elephant legs on and off for a while which didn’t freak me out until I saw the look on my primary care doc’s face when he saw my legs. It is serious and has to be addressed. Whenever I have these “come to Jesus” meetings I throw everything I can think of at the problem so I never know exactly what “it” was that worked. Doctors always like you to do one thing at a time so “they” know what works. I get that, I do, but the consequences are too dire to be a lab rat.

Anyone that has SD likely has narrowed blood vessels due to collagen build-up. Combine that with thick, sticky blood and you get a very compromised circulatory system, hence the Raynaud’s. When I got “scared-straight” here’s what I did ~ I immediately eliminated ALL sugar (including fruit), ate very low carb with lean protein, upped the doses of systemic enzymes (several times over the recommended dose on the label on an empty stomach), drank lots of water, hit the sauna hard (almost every day), and no matter how little energy I had I did something to move every day (a fraction of what used to be normal, but something that resembled light exercise). This routine yielded results within two weeks.

Good luck, JoAnn, I hope you get some relief.

Take care…..kim

finsfan
    Participant

Hi Joann,

This is probably a little out of left field so to speak, but during this past July I too had swollend feet and ankles from fluid retention. My primary care doctor suspected a circulatory problem, tests were done, but this ultimately was ruled out. They never determined a cause. So, after reading on this site about the benefits of extra virgin organic cocunut oil (consumed and/or applied to the skin), I decided to try applying it to my feet and ankles a couple times each day. The swelling dissipated within a couple weeks. Maybe coincidental, but the swelling is gone and hasn’t returned.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.