Home Forums General Discussion Fluconazole dosage question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kristie
    Participant

I have been having yeast issues for the last year. My dr prescribed 150mg fluconazole every third day for three doses and then once weekly for six months. However she doesn’t normally prescribe fluconazole long term so wondering if this dosage is effective. I did get the tablets in 50mg so I can change it up if need be. I am taking doxy 100mgs bid for my RA. Are there any supplements that are safe to take with fluconazole and doxy and also kill yeast? Hoping to hear what has worked for others. I follow a candida diet. Thank you for your advice- Kristie

richie
    Participant

Hi Hope you take plenty of probiotic daily –It many times prevents these problems

Maz
    Keymaster

I am taking doxy 100mgs bid for my RA. Are there any supplements that are safe to take with fluconazole and doxy and also kill yeast? Hoping to hear what has worked for others. I follow a candida diet. Thank you for your advice- Kristie

Hi Kristie,

In the ten years I’ve been on antibiotic therapy, I’ve never had to deal with yeast or other fungal issues (touch wood!). I put this down to taking adequate probiotics, staying off sugar as far as possible, and certain supplements. Imbalances in hormones, NSAIDs, cortisone and the birth control pill can exacerbate yeast in younger women, however, and it can be an ongoing battle in spite of all the best laid plans. The supps I’ve found most helpful over the years have been good quality bovine colostrum and liposomal curcumin and you should find plenty of research online. Here’s a couple to get you started:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19038979

http://www.colostrumresearch.org/Research/research_publishedRef.html

The probiotic, Saccharomyces boulardii, is also effective as a preventative and for helping to treat yeast.

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/332.html

I have tried grapefruit seed extract, but because it creates a blockade on the P450 cytochrome, a major detox pathway in the liver, it shouldn’t be used alongside diflucan and other systemic antifungals that get metabolized in the liver.

Here are some guidelines provided by my LLMD to me. This is not to make any recommendations to anyone about probiotic brands, simply types of probiotic and quantities that are important when on antibiotic therapy:

Antibiotics destroy “good” bacteria (probiotics) in your intestinal tract essential for proper digestion, detoxification, and your overall health. Replacing good bacteria is necessary and is not optional. Try to take your probiotics at least one to two hours after
    or before your antibiotics. If this becomes too complicated and you are missing doses, take the probiotics at the end of your meal. Use Multi-Probiotic (or equivalent of at least 8 billion organisms) 2 capsules once a day, Theralac one capsule once a day (1-2 times a day if any loose stools occur), and Saccharomyces boulardii 1 capsule 2 times a day. You may take Theralac and Saccharomyces at the same time, however try not to
    take Theralac and Multi-Probiotic together. If you are taking Nystatin (my note: or a systemic, like diflucan) then you would only take the Multi-Probiotic and Theralac.

Hope this helps, Kristie, and perhaps others will chime in on what they have found helpful. Fungal overgrowth is believed to lead to leaky gut, which in turn can lead to food sensitivities and other health issues, so you’re right that it’s important to get it under control.

kristie
    Participant

Thank you Maz and Richie for your valued input! I have been taking probiotics since I began AP five ago. I vary probiotics and take 100 billions a few hours after, but haven’t tried Saccharomyces before and will try to get that! I use curcumin in place of NSAIDS as now that I rarely flare I find it sufficient. However after reading about curcumin I will be adding that in daily again!!! Thank you Maz for those suggestions! Hoping others with yeast problems will throw in their ideas too! Kristie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.