Home Forums General Discussion Flu Shots Time for the debate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

Hi –I am seeing signs at all the major drug chains for flu shots –ALREADY -this is kind of early to be pushing these —It is almost time for our yearly debate on the subject of to take or not to take –I will get a head start and vote yes -I always take a flu shot –never problems —
    richie

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Richie,

Just for informational purposes, here’s a newly published article on the topic, although its focus is not on flu vaccinations for the immune-compromised specifically and more on how viruses, like H1N2 mutate and may create more trouble for the individual receiving the shot when later exposed to H1N1:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-08-vaccination-flu-worse-exposed-strain.html

The question to vaccinate or not to vaccinate is such a personal decision and each person’s situation will be unique. Assessing the available info for one’s self, discussing it with a doctor, and making an informed decision about whether or not to get a flu vaccine is the optimal way to go.

There is quite a bit of research and many old discussion threads that people can wade through on this subject, if interested.

enzed
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Hi Richie,

Just for informational purposes, here’s a newly published article on the topic, although its focus is not on flu vaccinations for the immune-compromised specifically and more on how viruses, like H1N2 mutate and may create more trouble for the individual receiving the shot when later exposed to H1N1:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-08-vaccination-flu-worse-exposed-strain.html

The question to vaccinate or not to vaccinate is such a personal decision and each person’s situation will be unique. Assessing the available info for one’s self, discussing it with a doctor, and making an informed decision about whether or not to get a flu vaccine is the optimal way to go.

There is quite a bit of research and many old discussion threads that people can wade through on this subject, if interested.

Scary stuff. Takes me back to 1998, when a doctor persuaded me to have a flu shot. I was doing a university degree at the time – I became so ill immediately following the shot, like within 24 hours that I missed 6 weeks of classroom work. I’d never had flu that bad in my life before nor since. Luckily I was able to catch up with my studies later that year. Needless to say I think flu shots are extremely dangerous especially for people with compromised immune systems. The doctor said I had a “rare reaction”. I don’t believe that. They cover up all their vaccine “mistakes” or try to.

Eileen
    Participant

Hello All,

Maz…thanks for the link. In 2009, my youngest son was a confirmed case of H1N1 and was hospitalized. He gets hit very hard due to respiratory issues and this is typically the pattern for him. Has had the flu twice in 11 yrs both requiring admittance to the hospital. I do choose to vaccinate him due to the severity of his illnesses. 🙁 The others in my family do not receive vacs. and have not gotten the flu. However, when he was confirmed H1N1, drs. immediately put us on Tamiflu…the rest of us did not get sick. My sister who lives in close proximity was on Tamiflu and still got H1N1. Other time my youngest had the flu, we didn’t get sick…and no vac. or anti-virals. For him…I do travel a distance to get him the vac. w/o the preservative. The only time I received a flu shot, I was knocked to the ground for 6 weeks and was herxing so severly — the upshot, I believe the vac. stimulated my immune system to wake up…but it didn’t come without a cost. I was on abx. doing a little bit better, but shortly after….severe relapse — back to square one. Could have been coincidence, or perhaps immune system on over drive, or just the nature of the disease. Not knowing why or how this happened, I would not vaccinate myself again.

Eileen

Trudi
    Participant

My sister is a nurse and many of her fellow nurses are against mandatory vaccination. OSHA agrees with them:
    http://hicprevent.blogs.ahcmedia.com/2012/01/18/osha-comes-out-against-mandatory-flu-shots/

Don’t know if this passed or not?; I live in WI :
    http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/safetysecurity/articles/Pages/Wisconsin-Ban-Mandatory-Flu-Shots.aspx

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Suzanne
    Participant

My daughter caught the flu last year from another child who had received the flu shot. So, would she have had it anyway? I don’t know what to think as far as a shot this year.

I agree with Richie, they are really pushing them early this year. I wonder if they will be selling boosters in January?

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.