Home Forums General Discussion flu and RA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lorena9
    Participant

Hello: I have not been visible here for a long time. I have managed more or less to “control” my RA, at first through Abx and then naturally, with some flare ups here and there but I was functioning. I got the flu over a month ago, and I am feeling as if all my old symptoms are back, from when I got sick with lyme, before even being diagnosed with RA. Numbness on leg, tingling, chills, muscle aches on and off in neck and all over. And bilateral joint pain ( unusual for me) Has anyone had a similar experience after the flu? I am not thinking of going back on abx( doxy which i have ). Many thanks

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ve had a flare up as a result of the flu. In fact, I think my RA symptoms oddly improved when I was sick. I think though it was due to not eating but that’s a whole other subject and that’s just me.

For me, it is clear that I’ll need to take minocycline for life. I had a major flare up in 2017 due in part to a switch of the generic brand of minocycline that I was taking. Once I got on another brand…I started again on the slow road back to “remission” So I wonder if your current difficulties can be knocked back into place with AP. Just a thought for you. Have you talked to your rheumy. I would certainly start there.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Spiffy1

Why would you not consider antibiotics anymore?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I had a really bad bout of flu 3 years ago and it played havoc with my whole immune system – including reactivating some old infections. It also activated some bi-lateral RA symptoms. I did multiple things – they included acupuncture to work on my whole system, adding in a raft of bio-identical hormones and a series of IV Clindamycin. It took over 6 months but I got a good result and it did halt the RA progression.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lorena9
    Participant

Thank you for your responses. I made a typo Spiffy1 . I meant to write I am NOW considering going back on abx.
    Lynnie I am pleased to hear about your success with bio identical hormone as my practitioner prescribed it for me and I was reluctant to take it because of my immune system. My symptoms at the moment are no longer joint pain, but crushing fatigue.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lorena – crushing fatigue was the worst for me too. That was where my acupuncturist came in. I’d been recommended to this guy and he is a genius, was so lucky to have found him. He worked weekly treating my liver energy (Chinese term) and it was 6 months before I started to turn the corner there. Perhaps an LLMD may be worth seeking out?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.