Home Forums General Discussion First week: have been on 50 mg mino for a week

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    redknee
    Participant

I am on 1000mg of cellcept per day. I stopped the mino when I went to ER and they started me on antibiotics. What dosage of NAC are you on a day and is there a best time to take it?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi rednee,

There are a few studies re: IPF and n-acetylcycstiene online. In fact N-AC is a commonly-used supplement given by IV or orally to cystic fibrosis patients, not only because it is a mucolytic, but also because N-AC (a precursor to glutathione) is the body’s master antioxidative detoxifying agent, helping to reduce the effects of oxidative damage to diseased lungs. This is important where sick lungs are deficient in glutathione. Here is one such study:

The effect of oral N-acetylcysteine on lung glutathione levels in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

In fact, for more direct treatment, some folks will use prescribed glutathione inhalers. N-AC is a fairly inexpensive over-the-counter supplement and pretty benign.

Re: your full CAT scan report, I’m no expert, but there is mention of “ground glass density” so I think I’d just want to check with the pulmonologust about whether or not mino-induced pneumonitis was a potential. It is quite rare and it’s only been mentioned a few times on this forum in my memory of the past decade, but if the doc suspects its related, it may be worth switching out to a different protocol. Just my two cents, though, redknee.

I hope you feel better soon!

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.