Home Forums General Discussion Fermented foods

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy

I have begun eating kimchi. My question is…can I eat it after waiting 2 hours after taking my antibiotic? I do not want it to make my antibiotics less effective in any way. This is in addition to my probiotic capsules. What is the general consensus?

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

richie
    Participant

What is the goal set for eating kim chi ??????????????????? How do you expect to benefit ??? THx

richie

Spiffy

Supposedly it is full of natural probiotics and live enzymes. There are many websites that say it is good for leaky gut. However, there are a few sites that say not to eat if Candida is a problem. But mainly they say if is pro life and I seem to be tolerating it okay. Please look it up if you are interested. I would love your opinion. They say it has more probiotics in a teaspoon than a whole bottle of supplements hands down.

supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Jeanies Girl
    Participant

Spiffy,

I could be wrong, but I understood that it wouldn’t be the probiotic eating up or destroying the antibiotic but the other way around. The antibiotics destroy the bacteria, both good and bad. I love kimchi and we do try to eat fermented vegetables for the reasons you stated. There are 2 wonderful sites I use, “Cultured Food for Life” and “Cultures for Health”. Just a note: I love the kimchi but I cannot eat it. I don’t know if it is the salt or what, but I don’t feel good on it. My husband and two of my boys eat the fermented veggies. We also use kefir and kombucha which I do fine with. Another note: My husband said he noticed he didn’t need Advil for all his aches and pains, and he had less heartburn when we started the kefir and the kombucha which was the same time we started the AP.

DX: Bacterial (mycoplasm) infection
    AP: Began June 2015
    Clindomycin IV 900 mg-every 3 months for 5 days
    Minocycline 100 mg MWF am and pm
    Flagyl 500 mg 2 x day for 3 days in a row every month
    Symptoms: Since approximately 1997-Extreme fatigue, (Intermittent: muscle weakness, stiffness, brain fog, lack of stamina)
    Supplements: Vit. C 3000 mg, Vitamin D 5000 IU every other day and 10,000 on remaining days, Vitamin B complex, Fish Oil 1000 mg 2 x day

Spiffy

Jeanies Girl…I am so glad you messaged me. I was not sure how to access this new site. When did it get up and running? I am thrilled. I have no idea how to private message you back. I do not think I can eat much kimchi either due to the salt. I will stick to probiotic pills for now. I thought I would give PB8 a try as a supplement to my existing probiotics. They stated they were gluten free but I woke up the next morning with 2 circle rashes on my right hand. I called them and told them I was the canary in the coalmine. They said it was cultured in barley but no gluten remains in the final product. But they are giving me my money back. If you are watching gluten I would not use PB8.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Spiffy – it was put up on Tuesday. Notices were updated on the previous forum as things went along – there are always a few glitches with a big migration and site launch!

To private message, go down to the bottom right of your screen where your name is and run your cursor over it. You will see Messages as one of the options in the menu. Once your cursor is on that you have a few options; inbox, compose etc. or you can just click on messages and it will take you to the message page.

Your username bottom right is also where you can access and edit your profile – e.g. to add your signature.

It will take a while to get used to this format but actually it’s pretty easy to use.

There are also a few additional things we are aiming to iron out. We are all getting used to driving this new machine : )

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jeanies Girl
    Participant

Spiffy,
    The husband and I use kefir as our source of a probiotic. In Donna Schwenk’s book “Cultured Food for Life” she states there are between 30 and 56 different strains of good bacteria in homemade kefir. The website for Lifeway Kefir states that each cup of their kefir has between 7 to 10 billion CFU (Colony Forming Units).

The husband and I discussed whether we wanted to take probiotic capsules or rely on the kefir. (We also drink kombucha now, too.) We felt that to take enough probiotic capsules for the both of us was very costly. We weren’t sure if we could even trust that the probiotic was alive and would stay alive long enough to get to the gut. Everything we read about the kefir led us to believe it would be a good choice because it so full of probiotics, so easy to make, and cost effective.

Symptoms: Since approximately 1997-Extreme fatigue, (Intermittent: muscle weakness, stiffness, brain fog, lack of stamina)
    Supplements: Vit. C 3000 mg, Vitamin D 5000 IU every other day and 10,000 on remaining days, Vitamin B complex, Fish Oil 1000 mg 2 x day

Spiffy

I cannot use kefir because I have to be dairy free! I sure miss it!

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Jeanies Girl
    Participant

Drats!!!

Spiffy

Jeanies Girl, reading your symptoms…you sound so much like me! I wish I did not have an RA factor to go with it. Looks like mine did not carry over. I will do a new one soon. Again, I am so glad you messaged me. The only way I get in to road back is your email. When I try to get in by looking up road back.org I cannot find a place that wants my password.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.