Home Forums General Discussion Esophagus issues with MCTD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Awil19
    Participant

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with MCTD in 2017. I started AP in 2018. I wanted to give it a year and see if I got any good results. By August of 2019 I noticed the swelling and pain in my fingers went away and so did the redness of my joints. I no longer needed pain meds and I was no longer tired all the time. I was so excited!! My recent labs showed my ANA went from 1:5160 to 1:1280. I’m convinced that the AP has helped a lot. BUT…I started experiencing esophagus problems in February of this year. Swallowing is difficult. I feel like I always have a hunk of phlegm in my throat and I get very winded while talking. I’m so confused as to how I can be improving so much in some areas and getting worse in others. Could this be from taking antibiotics for a year?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Awil19,

Do you suffer from GERD?

Awil19
    Participant

I don’t have any symptoms of reflux. I guess I should see a GI doctor.

Maz
    Keymaster

Well, it would be an idea to get an upper GI scope to see if it’s reflux. It’s important, too, to ensure mino is taken with a full glass of water (with a light meal if needed) and to avoid lying down for a good hour or so after taking it. It can cause reflux which can be pretty severe. If me, I’d ask the GI doc to check for the stomach infection H. Pylori which can cause a number of stomach/reflux and phlegm/sore throat and lung issues if acid is aspirated. I don’t know if this is what is happening for you, of course – only offering some fellow patient ideas. An inadequate LES stomach sphincter can also be a prob for some.

MCTD can also come with thyroid issues (which when enlarged can feel like a lump in the throat) and, being hypo or hyper can lead to stomach acid issues.

Awil19
    Participant

That’s a lot of good information. Thank you so much!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Are you taking minocycline? If so, what kind are you taking?

I had a very similar problem when I first started taking minocycline. I believe that it was caused by a type of allergic reaction to something in the generic minocycline that I was taking.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.