Home Forums Personal History and Progress Threads Enthesitis treatment with Minocycline (Tasmania)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    SPDF
    Participant

I have just been diagnosed with Enthesitis, which is a sub-group of Ankylosing Spondylitis and affect the insertion points of the tendons where they attach to the bones in the feet. I am particularly sore in the archilles tendons, plantar fasciitis and mid foot (anywhere the tendons connect to my feet). I have been hobbling for ages while I have waited for an appointment with a local rheumatologist in Hobart, Tasmania (Australia).

Having read The New Arthritis Breakthrough, and read a lot of info on this site, I was determined to find someone who would prescribe minocycline – and must say, was very concerned about whether any would be prepared to. Fortunately, the rheumatologist I did see knew about the book (had read it) and was open to the treatment, although suggested that the double blind trials (Dr. Brown) were for RA, not seronegative, which is what my condition is. Not to say it would not work with seronegative, but the results were based on RA. My rheumatologist would normally treat my condition with methotrexate, but said I could try the minocycline for 3 months to determine if it might work for me. I was delighted! So, I was prescribed 200mg per day (100mg morning/100mg night).

I have been on it now for a week, and on day 3, for a period of about 4 hours, ALL my pain disappeared. I went for a walk with my wife and could not believe it. I actually started to run, I was so excited (bad move!!!). I couldn’t believe it had all gone – it seemed too good to be true. Then later that night, the pain returned and I have struggled with it since. Was this a Herx reaction? And could the minocycline have taken effect so quickly, and the Herxheimer effect come on just as quickly? Wierd!

Anyway, I continue to take the Minocyn as prescribed and hope that it will work for me. I will continue to post as (hopefully) conditions improve.

Regards,
    Sean

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.