Home Forums General Discussion En coup de sabre-minocycline

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alsn13
    Participant

It has been 2 months since I have started AP therapy. I have both lyme ans mycoplasma. My en coup de sabre has been on my face and scalp for almost 19 years.
    Anyways, I have taken azithromycin 250mg for 2 months but symptoms on my face have progressed a bit from my point of view so doctor added minocycline 100mg twice a day.
    So yesterday was the first day I took both azithromycin (after breakfast) and minocycline(in the morning 1 hr before breakfast and 1 hour before dinner). I had a light headache and dizziness and nausea yesterday. A little bit of fever too.
    Today I don’t feel great either. I cannot stand or sit because I am too dizzy and nauseous. I even cancelled my work in the morning. It is normal reaction? It has been only 1 and a half day since I took minocycline. I will have a follow up consultation with my doc after a month but I don’t think I can take this medication and feel like this everyday…I can’t do things.. just laying on my bed..
    What do you guys think? What should I do?

Kat0605
    Participant

I’ve been on Azithromycin for 3 months and just started minocycline last week and I haven’t noticed any dizziness. I had some nausea with Azithromycin, but that seems to have gotten better.

Symptoms started in 9/16 after 2 miscarriages, diagnosed with Lyme 4/17, Daughter born 6/17 (not breastfeeding). ANA negative by IFA as of 8/17, positive by ELISA with positive Anti-DSDNA antibodies the same month (false positive?). Symptoms that have come and gone include sicca and skin tightening and telangiactiasia. Currently dealing with migraines, arthralgia, morning stiffness, neuropathy, slight swelling, slightly elevated liver enzymes, and bubbly urine. Current protocol: minocycline 100 mg QID, azi

jasregadoo

Many people do have issues with Minocycline, esp if you start at the 2x daily dosage. What I did when this happened to me was to cut back to 100mg 1x a day, Monday Wednesday Friday only. That was much easier to tolerate. Once I had been on that dosage for awhile, I slowly increased my dosage to where I could handle the 100mg BID. That would be my suggestion. I know with your diagnosis you will want to get on the higher dosage sooner rather than later, but I would still start out a bit more slowly.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

To put things into perspective, the first year I was on AP I was on 20mg (yes, that is just twenty) of doxycycline daily….for a year…then I was able to see “a real ap doctor” who gave me an rx for minocycline …but the most I’ve ever been able to consistently tolerate is 100mg every other day and that dose has gotten me into remission now twice. We are all different however and you should check with your doctor.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Maz
    Keymaster

Asln, just to add to the great replies already above, the vestibular (dizziness and nausea) symptoms that some people experience with mino is why Dr. Trentham started SD patients with just 100mg (50mg twice daily) a day for the first month of his small trial. Pulsed dosing is another way to do it, if 100mg daily is still too much, but then gradually increasing to twice daily, as can be tolerated. As long as severe headaches aren’t experienced, the dizziness and nausea usually pass within a month or two, as the body adjusts, and helps if the dose is titrated to tolerance. Minocycline crosses the blood-brain barrier so has amazing tissue penetration that is superior to either doxy or tetracycline, which is why it’s preferred for SD.

Minocycline in Early Diffuse Scleroderma

alsn13
    Participant

Thank you everyone!
    My doc said to not take minocycline for 3 days and retry again.. in the meanwhile, I am taking azithromycin 250mg everyday..
    I will let you know how I tolerate minocycline after 3 days..
    Go slow makes sense..

kater
    Participant

I agree with the above about going slow and building but I absolutely cannot take my mino on an empty stomach–will make me vomit in very short order. Take it with food that does not have dairy or iron in it. I am sure this will help the nausea and hopefully the dizziness will pass as you adjust and build the dose. It is a great med for scleroderma so I hope you can adjust. Good luck

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.