Home Forums General Discussion Dry mouth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

Maybe someone could help me. I have a very dry mouth. My dentist said there is no saliva. I drink a lot, mainly water. My teeth have been checked.
    The medications I take are: Celebrex, Panadol Osteo and Oroxine. Also I have a pain in my jaws.
    I will appreciate if anyone knows anything about it.
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Spiffy

Have you been diagnosed with Sjogren’s?

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Linda L
    Participant

No. I haven’t, but my eyes don’t feel dry. Thank you, Spiffy.
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Linda
    Here is some info from an aussie govt site. You’ll see that it does mention “auto-immune” conditions (Lupus and Sjogrens specifically) as possible causes.
    https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/dry-mouth-syndrome

Have you tried something like Biotene for symptomatic relief?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Lynnie,
    Thank you for this excellent article. I feel better that I’m not the only one. I’ve purchased Biotene liquid today and will try.
    Linda L

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,

The medications I take are: Celebrex, Panadol Osteo and Oroxine.

How long have you been off of minocycline, and why did you stop taking it?

Also I have a pain in my jaws.

Do you grind your teeth when you’re sleeping? Ask the dentist if he sees any signs that you’ve been grinding your teeth.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

Phil,
    I don’t know. I will speak to my dentist. Also people notice that my tongue and gums are very red. Thank you Phil.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Linda–
    At my last visit with the dentist, I was also told that my mouth was dry. The dentist recommended oil pulling with coconut oil. Foods high in Vitamin A also increase the moistness of mucous membranes. Both might be worth a try.

Good luck,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Linda, please share more about your rheumatic disease with us…type, date of rheumatic diagnosis, etc. Your medications appear to be for pain control and thyroid hormone replacement. Have you used AP before and, if so, for how long and to what effect? Thanks!

In addition to coconut oil pulling mentioned by Trudi above (which I do and love, too), have you heard of bovine colostrum to help with symptoms of dry mouth? If not, might help to research it to see if it might be of benefit to you. If dairy allergy is an issue, there are some brands that are casein-free. Some people also chew non-denatured whey protein, but it’s really the densely-packed immunoglobulins – for antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral effects – and growth factors in the bovine colostrum that can help with the effects of dry mouth on teeth and gums.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=sjogren’s+bovine+colostrum

Linda L
    Participant

How to add signature to my name?

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

How to add signature to my name?

Linda – run your cursor over your name (usually bottom right of your screen) and a menu will come up. Select Edit My Profile and go to that. Scroll right down almost to bottom and you’ll see Your Forum Signature. In that box, type in your details. Click on update and that info will appear at the foot of your posts

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Trudi, Maz, Lynnie thank you.
    Maz, yes, at the moment my medications are for pain control and I am in pain. I am going to start a new AP program next week as per Dr Gabe Mirkin.
    I used to take bovine colostrum and it says on the box “lactose and fat reduced”. Is it the one for the people with dairy allergy? I don’t know if I am.
    Lynnie, Biotene helps a bit. I also use Biotene toothpaste.
    Trudi, has oil pulling helped? How long do you keep oil in your mouth? When?
    Best wishes to everyone,
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Dry mouth and jaw pain are two of the possible side effects of Celebrex.

See: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/celebrex-side-effects.html

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Phil. I will try to reduce Celebrex to 100 mg twice a day /now I take 200 mg twice a day/
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Linda–
    I oil pull for about 15 minutes. I try to pull in the afternoon on an empty stomach. Of recent I haven’t been good about it. However, it is a good habit to get in to. There is much on the Internet of its benefits. I like the tooth whitening.

The other night I woke up drooling (I know TMI) and my mouth hasn’t felt as dry during the day. The only difference in my routine, I’ve added dried apricots (high in Vitamin A) and I’ve reduced my supplement intake.

Hope you find something helpful.
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.