Home Forums General Discussion Dry mouth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ve been diagnosed with and researching dry mouth. It can be a side effect of Sjogren’s syndrome or RA. Common symptoms include:
    sticky, dry feeling in the mouth
    frequent thirst
    split skin at corners of the mouth; cracked lips
    dry feeling in the throat
    problems speaking or trouble tasting, chewing or swallowing
    hoarseness, dry nasal passages, sore throat

It can raise the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Treatments include:
    sucking on sugar-free candy
    drinking plenty of water
    use fluoride rinse
    breathe through your nose, not your mouth

Any other treatments you have used?

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Tammi Schlotzhauer in Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis says 15% of the people with RA get dry eyes, dry mouth or both.

Anonymous
    Participant

Does it happen all the time or mainly after you wake up? Have you checked PH of your body /saliva and urine/
    Linda L.

RevereRosie
    Participant

I recently went to the Dentist for a cleaning and was told I have dry mouth. Which I already experienced the symptoms. I use Biotene products that help some. Keeping hydrated also helps.

And, I also recently had an eye exam and was told that I have dry eye which I was told to buy Systane eye drops.

I experienced both these issues long before being diagnosed with R/A and Scleroderma.

Rosie

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I just saw my dentist and she recommended an electric toothbrush and GC MI Paste Plus, a topical cream with calcium phosphate and fluoride. wwwgcamerica.com http://www.mipaste.com It was developed at the Dental School, University of Melbourne, Australia. l

Anonymous
    Participant

Dry mouth and dry eyes can be caused by an air-condition as well /heating and cooling both/
    Linda L.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Participant

I experience it when I wake up only and not always. I used Biotene 2-3 times at night and it definitely helped. Also I know that my body is quite acidic, so one night I took Zantac 150. In the morning my mouth was not dry and my PH improved into alkaline. Taking so many medications, like we do, our bodies must be acidic.
    Linda L.

SS
    Participant

Hi:

I have dry mouth and dry eyes and I take biotin supplement and hypo tear drops for eyes and it helped me a lot.
    It will take couple of months to get the results.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

enzed
    Participant

Dry eyes and dry mouth are common symptoms of scleroderma.
    My eye dryness improved after I began AP.
    I rarely need eye drops now whereas before AP I was using them several times a day.

The mouth dryness also improved and eventually disappeared on AP. It seemed to be related to the reversal of my ‘shrinking’ mouth, and when my mouth began to return to a normal size, the mouth dryness reversed along with it.

It seems clear to me that my dry eyes and mouth were healed by AP, which therefore proves they were caused by bacteria.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

enzed- Glad to hear your symptoms are gone. That is good news.

Jan

cbnelson
    Participant

Been on AP for 5 years. 100mg 2x day Minocycline- generic brand. Also do Clindy iv’s 16 treatments every six months.
    I just noticed this summer a dry month and cracks in my lips. I thought it may be vit. deficiency, so is corrected.
    The RA is better. When will these other symptoms get better. I am having a PH water system installed will this help?

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I don’t know but wish you the best.

Anonymous
    Participant

Cbnelson,
    Make sure you drink a lot of water and take enough vitamins C and B complex.
    Linda L.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Sugar-free life savers really help. Also with dry, raspy throat when stressed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.