Home Forums General Discussion drug induced Lupus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    akmeyer1
    Participant

Hello
    I am Ra+ (titer >240 ) and Lyme Western Blot +; blood type o-; I havee never used Methotex and only treated with abx (for lyme including flagyl, tini, doxy, lariam, plaquenil, and lots of herbs, rife machine; ozone, infrared sauna, hyperbaric (very bad reaction); and over the years I have tried mino but normally I don’t have a +ana and then with mino my ana turns on. Is there ever a case where the Drug Induced Lupus reaction initially flares and then subsides. I do find that if my ana rises I can take flagyl and then the ANA will normalize. Also, recently I use infrared sauna two time a day and really sweat and I feel like the Drug induced Lupus may have be cause in part to my detox pathways being blocked (and may now be improved)

niteowl
    Participant

Hi Akameyer1,
    Should you be taking Mino when it is one of the drugs likely to cause DILE? Hoping Maz sees this!

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

Linda L
    Participant

Does it have to be Lupus if ANA is positive?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

I have tried mino but normally I don’t have a +ana and then with mino my ana turns on. Is there ever a case where the Drug Induced Lupus reaction initially flares and then subsides. I do find that if my ana rises I can take flagyl and then the ANA will normalize. Also, recently I use infrared sauna two time a day and really sweat and I feel like the Drug induced Lupus may have be cause in part to my detox pathways being blocked (and may now be improved)

Hi akmeyer1,

Nice to meet you!

When you tried mino, can you share how long you tried it for? For the most part, it can take time for DILE to develop. Also, DILE can only really be definitively diagnosed with specific labs (other than, but in addition to, ANA, if previously negative) and identifiable signs/symptoms of lupus.

Do you recall the ANA pattern and if other labs were drawn at the time to look for DILE specifically?

Sometimes rheumatic labs take time to emerge and they can come and go with periods of flaring/remission. We have also heard from others here where AP reveals overlaps in rheumatic disease when herxing begins. So, it can be tricky to diagnose DILE and regular docs don’t usually know which labs to run (may need an immunologist or rheumatologist).

It’s pretty interesting to hear that flagyl returns your ANA to negative. Were you taking mino concomitantly with flagyl or after coming off mino? Labs generally normalize after stopping a medication (and there are many) that causes DILE in those predisposed.

In other words, if DILE is suspected, labs need to be run when on, or right after stopping, the offending med in order to get a more accurate diagnosis of DILE. The reason is because other factors can cause ANA to be elevated, including a herxheiner flare.

Hope this might offer some food for thought to discuss with your treating doc, akmeyer1?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.