Home Forums General Discussion Drug combos that work well with azithromicin?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sunny22
    Participant

Has anyone had good experience with drugs that work well with zithro for s/d (diffuse)and lyme & co infections ? Unable to take any dxy&mino(DILE). I Appreciate hearing what seemed to have worked well for you. I knw there are many factors here but just would like to hear your combos and what seemed to work well for you if you have similar chronic illness as I . i also do iv clindy. Thank you all!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Sunny;
    Have you had testing to find out if you truly have Dile ?It’s possible to have the same symptoms with a Herx.Since you also have Lyme you can expect a lot of that happening.My doc had me on Flagyl,5 days on then 5 off.Clindamycin 1200mg onec a week.I do not remember the name of the Dile test but Maz does and I expect others do also.

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@Lynne G./SD wrote:

Hi Sunny;
    Have you had testing to find out if you truly have Dile ?It’s possible to have the same symptoms with a Herx.Since you also have Lyme you can expect a lot of that happening.My doc had me on Flagyl,5 days on then 5 off.Clindamycin 1200mg onec a week.I do not remember the name of the Dile test but Maz does and I expect others do also.

The name of the test to indicate the possibility of DILE is Single-stranded anti-DNA, that will show values indicating FAKE LUPUS. The double-stranded anti-DNA is the real test for Lupus.

I have seen many using Flagyl in combination with the macrolides and showing good progress. I myself for a time used it in combination with Clarithromycin and seemed to work well for certain aspects of Sjoren’s. though like minocycline, it never addresses the dryness issue, only the joint issues. Good luck.

John

sunny22
    Participant

Hi all,
    Thanks for you info. Yes, the DILE was confirmed through blood tests( ds DNA, ss DNA, anti phospholipid). It was very discouraging as i know the tetras are the drugs of choice but i need to look beyond that know. Thx again.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

How do you know that you can’t take doxycycline? Doxy is the antibiotic that many (most?) people are switched to when they develop DILE from taking minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

sunny22
    Participant

Phil,
    I was tested on doxy last year when i was on it. Same issue, DILE.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @sunny22 wrote:

I was tested on doxy last year when i was on it. Same issue, DILE.

That’s unusual. DILE caused by doxy is very rare.

There’s something about your situation that doesn’t add up (make sense). It might be helpful if you posted info on what antibiotics you have taken, the doses, and when you took them. When the blood tests for DILE were performed would also be useful.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

sunny22
    Participant

Well, Phil, I’m not that sure how unusual it is but i know a few ppl who cant take tetras for the same reason. Ithe dile has already been confirmed so at this point. i am just curious as to what other meds members have found success with in conjunction with zithro, while being treated for lyme/sd.
    Thanks for your help.
    Sunny

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi Sunny,

You are not alone. I too had trouble with the mino and the doxy. Sometimes certain medications just do not work with our chemistry. If it was simple, then we would all be well quickly. It is quite a journey.

Rio

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Sunny,

Some combinations that have been used:

azithromycin + rifampin (rifampicin)
    azithromycin + rifampin (rifampicin) + metronidazole (Flagyl)
    azithromycin + rifampin (rifampicin) + tinidazole (Tindamax)

Rifampin must not be pulsed or used intermittently; if it is not taken continuously there is a high risk that the bacteria will become resistant. For the same reason, rifampin should not be used by itself. Since many people react badly to this antibiotic, using it during the early part of a patient’s treatment should be avoided (if possible).

Metronidazole and tinidazole, when used in combination with bacteriostatic antibiotics, are taken (for example) for 5 to 15 days per month. Metronidazole and tinidazole are “killer” (bactericidal) antibiotics — “pulsing” them in this way helps make them easier to tolerate.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

sunny22
    Participant

Thx Rio and Phil. It would make life much easier if mino/doxy could be used. Just want it to be over, just like everyone else. Have a good week everyone.Sunny

lorena9
    Participant

Hi Phil. Thanks for that info. My doctor just asked me to substitute doxy with azythromycin ( 500 a day) and to use flagyl two times a day for two consecutive days a week.
    I am reluctant to go off the doxy and start on the azythromycin, although it would be easier to maneuver one pill instead of 4 (doxy) a day ( away from supplements and probiotics ). Any thoughts on this combination? I have been on and off the doxy for 6 months now ( for lyme/ RA). Many thanks, Lorena

Tintap
    Participant

Phil,
    Can Flagyl be combined (in a pulsed dose) with other macrolides (like clarythromycin/roxythromycin) and tetracyclines?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @Tintap wrote:

Phil,
    Can Flagyl be combined (in a pulsed dose) with other macrolides (like clarythromycin/roxythromycin) and tetracyclines?

Yes, it is often used that way.

Take a look at this web page:
    http://www.cpnhelp.org/treatment_protocols

There you will see info for three different protocols that use metronidazole (Flagyl).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.