Home Forums General Discussion doxycycline issues

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    leerobert
    Participant

Hi all,

My husband started on doxycycline 100 mg twice day MWF three weeks ago for his RA. He had worsening of his pain and then last week started retaining fluid in his ankles and lower legs. We stopped the doxy last Friday to try a washout period and plan on starting it again this Friday at a lower dose of 100 mg MWF. His fluid retention is better but not gone yet. His pain has lessened, too, after he stopped. According to Dr. Browns this could happen. Wondering how long he should stay off. I was thinking maybe he could try again on Friday. Also, wondering if anybody has taken a diuretic when starting therapy. Dr. Brown had mentioned giving his patients dyazide. Any suggestions, personal stories, etch would be appreciated.

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Is your husband taking N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)? If not, it would likely be a worthwhile addition to the supplements that he is taking.

How is your husband’s blood pressure? Is he taking any blood pressure medications?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

Hi Phil!
    He is not taking any blood pressure medication, but his blood pressure has been running on the edge, mainly his systolic number around 140, diastyolic has been under between 70-80. I did not mention in earlier post that he started olive leaf extract 1 week before doxy to maybe help with blood pressure. Any thoughts? What is NAC for, would that help with the fluid retention?

RA diagnosis 2015 - positive anti-CCP. Currently Clarithromycin 500 mg daily; Turmeric supplement; probiotic; fish oil; vitamin D3; MSM. Minocycline therapy from 2015-2017 until developing sensitivities. Gluten free and dairy free diet. Severe dairy intolerance. Tested positive for M. pneumoniae igG

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

What is NAC for, would that help with the fluid retention?

NAC is a potent antioxidant that helps to protect the liver and kidneys. Would it help with the fluid retention? It might.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

My husband started doxy last Friday and this week mwf 100 mg per day and his pain was better until yesterday and today it seemed to be worse. Is this normal or should we cut the dosage back more? We contacted his AP doctor and he agreed with us stopping and backing down the dose. He has an appointment next Tuesday. Wondering if we should try a different antibiotic like Azithromycin, maybe he has developed a sensitivity to all tetracyclines! Frustrating trying to figure it out. I hope and pray that he gets back to where he was at when he was on the Mino! Also, thinking we should give that another try! Any insights or suggestions? Thanks!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Did your husband just switch from mino to doxy (with no break in between), or was there a period of time when he wasn’t taking either of them? If there was a break between them, how long was it?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

When I got sick in 1999 –THe Harvard doctor treated the over-all issue of scleroderma and suggested I go to my internist for the management of the other many symptoms –my internist gave me a calcium channel blocker which helped the Raynauds immensely and a potassium sparing diuretic to help with the wide spread swelling –it did prove to be a help –I still take both to this day

leerobert
    Participant

Hi Phil,

He quit taking the minocycline in December 2017. He was running a fever at that time around 102 degrees for over 2 weeks with leg pain and also fluid retention in his lower legs. They ran a lot of tests and nothing came up. He stopped the Mino and within 2 days the fever resolved and slowly fluid retention went away and his chem and CBC panel went back to normal. He then started on oral Clindamycin 1200 mg weekly the end of January and did pretty good on that until the beginning of April when things started to flare so that’s when he started the doxy and things got much worse, so he quit taking both for 1 week to do a washout period and now has resumed doxy but not Clindamycin.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Since your husband was off of minocycline for several months, it is perfectly normal for him to begin experiencing die-off reactions again now that he is taking doxycycline.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

I purchased a nac supplement. Is it okay to take if hubby is still herxing. Don’t want to add any more to the fire! Capsules are 500mg. Any recommendations for dose?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Theoretically, NAC could make things worse because it does have some antimicrobial properties. However, I don’t recall anyone on this forum ever complaining about exacerbation of symptoms due to taking NAC, so the probability of that happening is probably low.

As for the dose, what is written on the label? I take 600 mg twice a day, which seems to be a common dose. Some people, like those who are fighting a Cpn infection, take twice that amount.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

leerobert
    Participant

Hi,

My hubby seen his AP provider yesterday and he wants him to stop all antibiotics until his symptoms settle down and are mild. Then he wants him to start the oral clindamycin 1200 mg 1 day/week and do this for a few weeks. Then if everything is going okay, still only mild symptoms, he wants him to add in minocycline 50 mg once daily M,W,F and do this for awhile (1 month) and if he is doing okay then increase the dose to 100 mg M,W,F (1 month) and so on. We started the NAC twice daily this week. Thanks for the response Phil. He is also recommending we up his fish oil to 3000 mg dpa/eha and also to be taking the turmeric with bioperine. after starting the doxycycline over 1 month ago, hubby also started having problems with ED. His AP doctor thinks this is related to the doxy and herxing. So hard waiting for results, just want things better fast. I wonder if some low dose cortisone would really help? His AP doctor also suggesting taking Tart cherry supplement. His patients have had a good response to that. He is also recommending LDN 4.5 mg. Any thoughts??

Spiffy1

Thanks for sharing what the doctor suggested. My doctor recommended LDN but suggested I start low and slow. I started at .5 and have worked my way up to 3.5 where I have stayed. He may not be as sensitive as me and might could jump right in at 4.5! Keep us posted!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I wonder if some low dose cortisone would really help?

Yes, it might help.

He is also recommending LDN 4.5 mg.

It may help, but it also has the potential to make his condition worse. Multiple people have reported that LDN made them worse, and in some cases much worse. Although no one seems to know for certain why that happens, I suspect that those people may be extra sensitive to the effects of naltrexone.

Because that doctor recommended a dose of 4.5 mg, that tells me that his knowledge of LDN is probably based on outdated information.

See:
    https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/how-ldn-works/#post-366933

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.