Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline dose required

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cookie
    Participant

I have switched from Minocycline to Doxycycline. The mino gave me a few unwanted side effects such as gray skin, small cysts under facial skin, vitiligo on neck and wrists and stunted toe nail growth.

My AP was not sure how I should take this Doxy. I took the mino on M-W-F x2 a day. Should I also do the same for the doxy??? Can anyone advise me as to how they are taking this drug.

Thank you so much!!!

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

matv
    Participant

Hi Cookie, you probably won’t know how it affects you until you start using it, but generally, it’s used the same way minocycline is used. So, your regimen of M-W-F BID should be fine.

When I was on doxy, I was 100mg M-W-F 2x a day (before I was diagnosed with chronic lyme, then it turned into 7 days a week BID)

Krys
    Participant

Hi Cookie,
    I’ve seen many RA patients taking doxy in the same amounts they took mino. Some take a higher dose when they switch to doxy. I take both mino and doxy (keep switching between the two) for Lyme. When I take mino, it’s 100mg bid, 7 days a week. When I take doxy, the dosage is 100mg am + 200mg pm.
    Even at the increased dosage, doxy is not working as good as mino for me.
    So Mat’s advice is perfect: you will have to see how your body reacts. Hopefully, same amount will be just as effective.

Detoxification seems to lessen my bluish-blackish discoloration. I have just noticed this effect (immediate effect) on discolored nails: foot soaks immediately bring about some normal color to my toe nails as compared to mostlly bluish-black just prior to the soak. It’s a new discovery and I’m not sure if all the discoloration is affected.
    My discoloration is a cumulative effect of toxins + impaired circulation + minocycline. It’s only been happening when I’m on mino. I did not experience any when I was on doxy for extended periods of time in the past.
    Drinking green juice + rubbing cucumber, strawberries, lemon on discolored skin spots also seem to help a little.
    Krys

cookie
    Participant

Thanks Krys for your helpful information. I will keep on the Doxy at MWF 100 mg 2xday and see if that helps me. I really hated to stop the mino as it seems to work well, but the side effects bother me immensely. Time will tell.

Thanks again

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

cookie
    Participant

Hi Matv:

Have your symptoms abated now that you are not taking any mino or doxy. My arthritis has come back with a vengeance since I stopped the mino 3 months ago. I hope the doxy has the same effect on my body as the mino. Time will tell. Thank you for your response to my query.

Cookie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.