Home Forums General Discussion doxy shots???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lolly2pops
    Participant

Greetings to all,

I have been on doxycycline for 2 years now and recently it has been out of stock in my country of residence (SA). I was advised by my local pharmacist to consider getting a shot of doxy 1g as it is the only thing available. now the problem is: can this work? is it a good approach and does anyone have an idea how this could work? and if so, how often should the shot be given?

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I have never heard onantibiotic shots.Getting poked a couple times a day would be a bit much.Some antibiotics such as clindamycin are given by intravenous drip.

Spiffy1

Hmmm. Is there no place to mail order?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Can you get minocycline or even tetracycline in a pinch?Some people use zithromax instead

PhilC
    Participant

Is doxycyline syrup available? If not, what about lymecycline (Tetralysal)?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lolly2pops
    Participant

Thank you good people for always availing yourself on this forum to help.

I finally got the doxycycline. I made some calls and the only pharmacy that still has stock is almost a two hour drive from where i stay. i managed to get a two months supply.

Thank you once again.

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

lolly2pops
    Participant

Hi Lynne

[Getting poked a couple times a day would be a bit much.Some antibiotics such as clindamycin are given by intravenous drip.]

I do not know how it would have worked out as the pharmasist said i could get the injection twice a month. If such an option was viable i would opt for it just to avoid the gut issues I have with doxy as it would go straight into the blood stream and not the stomach. But then again, I’ll rather stick to the tried and tested methods.

lolly2pops
    Participant

Is doxycyline syrup available? If not, what about lymecycline (Tetralysal)?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I will look into getting the syrup next time as I only managed to get a two months supply and I don’t know if they’ll have doxy in stock in two months time from now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.