Home Forums General Discussion Distal Esophagitis/Decreased peristalsis??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jez
    Participant

Just wanted to know if anyone else who has been on mino/AP for a while has experienced painful swallowing and reflux? I’ve been feeling it for some time, so I got a barium swallow and it showed that i had decreased motility in lower esophagus, basically food or liquids not going down.. only when standing/upright position with help of gravity. I hadnt done one in a while so i didnt know I had this.

Also said i have irregular ge junction that could signal erosion or ulcers. So now i gotta go see gi for endoscope possible biopsy. Has anyone else had this issue even after mino? I guess I somehow had the impression that if I kept taking mino that i would never have any organ issues again, guess i was wrong. been on the mino for 10 years, last time i had gastro workup was ten years ago and i didnt have decreased peristalsis then… I dont have h pylori.. Im also aware that some of you have had to switch to other antibiotics because of reflux, dont think i wanna do that.

richie
    Participant

REflux is common in rheumatic diseases —It is surprising that you were never given anti GERD meds —I dont think the minocycline would aggravate or correct the situation —If you have scleroderma -collagen overgrowth may well have affected your esophagus –I have been taking minocin for 18 years now and also an anti gerd med –When I first got sick had severe reflux -meds keep it under control -I have always mentioned here that minocycline is the DMARD but support meds are also needed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jez
    Participant

I was given prilosec when i first got it 14 years ago. I am well aware that sclero can cause reflux. I was told by the doctor who is very famous around here to come off all meds and take mino. Mever thought much of it. Antireflux meds would not have prevented the decreased peristalsis tht is causing my reflux…. going on them will mildly relieve it.

Jez
    Participant

I did not have this problem when i first started mino.. understand??? It happened while on mino. I thought mino slowed progression of disease, all facets.. tetracyclines are known to contribute to reflux. Docs are gonna most likely twll me to come off it.

richie
    Participant

Interesting -I used DR Trentham up at Harvard for treating my scleroderma –he strongly suggested in addition to minocin I go to my internist for help in treating reflux and Raynauds -as well as protecting kidneys –my internist with Trenthams approval prescribed ACE inhibitor –Calcium channel blocker and nexium at the time –18 years later results no problems –complete remission and I still take all those meds !!!!–cant figure out why any doctor would suggest going off all meds except mino —strange !!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.