Home Forums General Discussion Discolouration of my eye pupils, face and neck areas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cookie
    Participant

I’m concerned as my pupils are starting to discolour. They appear to be grayish. My face and neck are also discoloured and I have small black cysts on my cheeks and forehead. I have had laser surgery on my face twice but it hasn’t helped to remove anything. Is there a product or vitamin that might help reduce the discolouration. I am on minocycline 2 100 mg pills 3 times a week. I take many supplements as well. I have had RA 13 years. Any advice would be appreciated as I don’t know how to rectify this situation. Thank you!

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hy cookie
    You might want to take a look at this very recent thread:

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/hey-maz-blue-spots/

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Cookie;
    I finally found a sure fix thanks to my prof.I got bored and decided to go back to Uni. and take a couple interesting(to me) courses.One is called La Bio Chemie des Supplements and it is amazing.Naturally with a bunch of girls in the class and much to the chagrin of the guys the topic turned to cosmetics one day.When I mentione C serum he asked me what rock I was living under.The he got on the topic of B vits.WOW,they are amazing.He the gave us free reign to tear into the cosmetic industry.What fun we had for a couple days.There are loads of doubleblind peer reviewed articles all in French or German but I found some English equivalents if you want me to send them.Check out Inositol ,it’s making my hair grow like stink and Niacinamide for skin discolouration.With SD we always get that muddy looking SD tan and even though I have been in remission for 15 years the coluur never left on the calves or chest,the grubby looking elbows and knees from years of gardening are just about gone in less than a month.Even my sun/age spots are fading dramatically.Get a large bottle of body cream such as Aveno or Lubriderm and empty 2 capsules of niacinamide,shake really well and use daily.Then take 1 capsule daily,it usually comes in 500mg and is dirt cheap.One can take up to 300mg a day before it becomes toxic so there are no worries about 500mg

cookie
    Participant

Yes please if you would kindly send me the English studies thanks so much Lynne.

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

cookie
    Participant

Hi how much inositol is safe ? My hair is terribly thin and I would love to thicken it. Thanks so much

cookie
    Participant

Hi thanks for the threads. I wish I could solve my pupils graying. Would taking vitamin C in high doses say 3000 mg help eliminate the build up of iron from the mino in my body. Really concerned about the discolouration of my pupils. Thanks

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

Do you normally take any vitamin C? I take 500 mg, 2 to 3 times a day.

I have some black discoloration on my feet and on my left ankle. I also have some bluish-grey discoloration on my gums. I am not concerned about it (yet) because it is just a cosmetic issue at this point, and most people never see it anyway. However, if I had the discoloration on my face, or it was affecting my eyes, I would be concerned.

Have you considered switching to a different antibiotic, like doxycycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

cookie
    Participant

Hi Phil;
    How does vitamin C help? I’ll try it because it doesn’t stay in our system. The side effects of minocycline unfortunately is discolouration, where it does discolour is hit or miss I would think. It’s a concern but I guess I have to live with it. I tried doxycycline but it didn’t help with the severe body aches. Thank you for your help.
    Cookie

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Cookie,

This study explains why and how vitamin C helps prevent minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9893512

The tetracyclines are very chelatuve and bind to minerals in the body, such as iron, and in studies I’ve seen where biopsies were conducted on these colored patches, there is a higher concentration of iron deposited there. Vitamin C is known to help metabolize iron in the body, which is why docs will recommend drinking down an iron tablet with orange juice or something with a high vitamin C content to help with absorption.

I had my thyroid removed last year due to a toxic multinodular goiter and I asked the surgeon if it was blue/gray/black when she took it out and she said it was a normal color. I’d been on tetras for 9 years at that point, but have always taken vitamin c (ascorbic acid powder) and do bi-weekly IV Myer’s cocktails and use a number of other antioxidative supps ( NAC, ALA, curcumin, and glutathione IV pushes). Maybe that is why I’ve never had any big issues, though I do still get gray/brownish patchy freckles on my forarms and chest in summer, they fade during the winter.

Hope this helps.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

How does vitamin C help? I’ll try it because it doesn’t stay in our system.

Since Maz already answered you, I’ll answer from a different angle. Vitamin C is important even if you don’t have discolouration because it is an anti-oxidant, and because the body needs it in order to produce collagen.

I tried doxycycline but it didn’t help with the severe body aches.

How much doxycycline were you taking?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

cookie
    Participant

Hi: I was taking the doxycycline for 6 months to replace the minocycline on M-W-F twice a day. My body aches came back with a vengeance and my right wrist became swollen to match my left ☹️️. I went back on minocycline and can function most days. My RA is in both wrists which has virtually eliminated my weight lifting, push ups etc. which saddens me tremendously. But I am fortunate that it’s only in my wrists so far after 12 years.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

Since doxycycline is weaker than minocycline, it would have been better if you had been taking it every day. Even so, it might not have helped if the bacteria are resistant to doxy.

What country are you in? Depending on where you are, you may have other options.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

cookie
    Participant

Hi Phil; I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I see Dr J who is a great complementary physician. I have started to take 2 1000 Mg of Vitamin C a day now and hope it may help eliminate the discolouration or at least halt its progression.

cookie
    Participant

Maz: I purchased the buffered vitamin C. It is 1000mg in strength. It also contains a small amount of calcium 125 mg and 100mg of quercetin. I need your advice as to when I should take the tablets?? Do you take yours with the minocycline. I really want to eliminate the black discolouration from the whites of my eyes. Thank you very much!
    Cookie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Cookie;
    You have to remember that it will take quite a while to get rid of the colouring as you have to wait until the bottom layer of the skin becomes the top layer,do you understand?The dark colour penetrates the entire tissue and as new tissue forms it is always the bottom layer.Are you taking any niacinamide as it inhibits melanin which causes the dark spots.I take 1500mg a day with great effect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.