Home Forums General Discussion detox infrared sauna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    JulieKatie
    Participant

Is anyone familiar with this product for use as an infrared sauna?

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/_Precision_Therapy_Portable_Far_Infrared_Sauna_with_Foot_Pad_and_Negative_Ion_-_Regular_–SKU_FIRPORTABLE-BF.html

I am thinking about getting it for my daughter with lyme. I wanted to be sure it was good enough to even bring it home. THanks, Julie

Maz
    Keymaster

@JulieKatie wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this product for use as an infrared sauna?

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/_Precision_Therapy_Portable_Far_Infrared_Sauna_with_Foot_Pad_and_Negative_Ion_-_Regular_–SKU_FIRPORTABLE-BF.html

I am thinking about getting it for my daughter with lyme. I wanted to be sure it was good enough to even bring it home. THanks, Julie

Hi Julie,

With any model, I personally feel that the most important thing to check is that it is manufactured with non-toxic materials, glues, etc. (including the chair and foot rest). Many models are manufactured abroad and so this can be hard to check, but if this can be guaranteed by a trustworthy supplier, then you should be good to go. The one you’re looking at is carbon-panel heated, which some prefer over the ceramic-heated models that provide less diffuse heat and that can burn the skin, if touched.

I think another thing I’d check is how long it takes to heat up to a max of 125f. While the carbon-paneled models are said to use about the same amount of energy as a toaster, if they take too long to heat up, it can be a nuisance factor to have to wait for long periods and some planning ahead is necessary.

That’s about all I can think of at the moment, apart from ensuring storage space and what type of wall socket may be needed. I had to install a special socket for the bathroom ceiling as my FIR sauna sits in the basement bathroom.

Great present! πŸ™‚

cavalier
    Participant

May I suggest something else to consider? If you have not seen these here’s a link- for a Infrared blanket – I have one – no carbon heaters & it warms up fast & is even. I used it first at a Spa & loved it – they had the wood stand up booth infra red sauna too – I actually found this one to be more effective than the booth for me. They charged more for the use of the blanket at this spa than they did the conventional booth type – I figured for the cost of their use & gas to get there I could buy my own & use it in the comfort of my own home – this takes no special wiring either regular outlet. I have ours in our bedroom so i can watch TV but it is easier to put away if I also desire & does not have to sit out if i dont want it too unlike the big booths or the one who showed. Plus it costs a whole heck of alot less. Best – Jill
    http://www.saferwholesale.com/Brand-New-Far-Infrared-Slimming-Blanket-Sauna-p/far%20infrared%20slim%20blanket.htm?utm_source=google+product&utm_medium=versafeed&utm_term=far+infrared+slim+blanket&utm_campaign=home+garden+pool+spa+saunas&utm_content=far+infrared&v_traceback=c0317_1157_f0317_1309&Click=35179&gclid=CNSztKTb9K4CFQda7AodixweNQ

matv
    Participant

These products are pretty impressive. That FIR “tent” (I’ll call it that πŸ™‚ ) looks a little silly but if it does the job, then that’s a moot point.

I have read stories about people with certain rheumatic conditions having bad herxes with FIR saunas (especially those with lupus). Does anyone have stories about this?

Maz
    Keymaster

@cavalier wrote:

If you have not seen these here’s a link- for a Infrared blanket – I have one – no carbon heaters & it warms up fast & is even.

Hi Jill,

Sounds like you’re really enjoying your FIR blanket! πŸ™‚ It seems like a really nice option, especially for those who are very unwell and unable to stand or sit for long periods. I sweat tons when in my sauna…just dripping wet. Is there some way for the sweat produced while in the blanket to be drained off or absorbed or does one have to lie in the sweat until you get up to shower? How is it to clean out afterward? I’m wondering if the blanket is just a “warming” device or if you would actually be sweating up a storm in there…like dripping wet? I don’t know much about these blankets as I didn’t spend time researching them, but it’s interesting to know these little factoids.

Hi Matt,

I have read stories about people with certain rheumatic conditions having bad herxes with FIR saunas (especially those with lupus). Does anyone have stories about this?

Yes, when I first got my FIR sauna, I was using it every day for 5 days straight on 110f and gradually working up to 40mins and 130f, thinking this heat/timeframe was low enough. However, by day 5, I was experiencing a very good herx. My Lyme doc told me to get one, if possible, as Lyme doesn’t like heat and the deep penetrating infrared heat…but when I told him of my experience, he cautioned me to go much slower, using it for only short 10 min spells at 110f and then working up the time more slowly to a max of 30 mins. Also, to only use it every other day. Then, I could slowly dial up the temp to 125f max over a period of days/weeks, depending on tolerance. He said to avoid being it for longer than 30 mins and to be sure to remain hydrated. Herxing isn’t bad in this light…just intolerable herxing. I’m an Aries, what can I say??? πŸ˜† I will usually get in my sauna an hour before bed and then have a shower straight after I get out, sit and cool down for about 15mins in a towel and then get into bed for the night. I find it really relaxing doing it this way. I use it less often in the summer months, but during winter it’s a god-send.

A Friend
    Participant

Maz,
    I may have overlooked this when reading your post about your using the FIR, and am wondering what kind of replacement minerals, etc. you use during the sauna and after getting out of it. I haven’t read anything about this in a while, but when I used the FIR sauna regularly, I generally followed Dr. Sherry Rogers recommendations in her book, “Detoxify or Die.” (Am hoping there is now a combination available for quicker mixing.)
    Thanks,
    AF

Maz
    Keymaster

@A Friend wrote:

Maz,
    I may have overlooked this when reading your post about your using the FIR, and am wondering what kind of replacement minerals, etc. you use during the sauna and after getting out of it.

AF, I usually use Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts mixed in a glass of warm filtered water after the sauna, but I also drink two full glasses of water while in the sauna.

I’m not sure whether or not Tri-Salts would be recommended for SD patients with the calcium content?

http://www.needs.com/product/Ecological_Formulas_Tri_Salts_200/b_Ecological_Formulas

I seem to recall others here have used Alka Seltzer Gold:

http://alkaseltzer.com/as/as_gold.html

Can you add anything of help from Dr. S. Roger’s recommendations?

cavalier
    Participant

Maz – I use a big bath towel that i lay down 1st in mine – for this reason & then change that towel out of course. It is a wipeable surface though but still … It definitely shows up on my face in cleansing impurties out even though my face is not covered up.

One can over do things – but it sure helps my sore muscles too – but I tend to only use it one to 2 times a week in going slowly with this.

Jill

Maz
    Keymaster

@cavalier wrote:

Maz – I use a big bath towel that i lay down 1st in mine – for this reason & then change that towel out of course. It is a wipeable surface though but still … It definitely shows up on my face in cleansing impurties out even though my face is not covered up.

One can over do things – but it sure helps my sore muscles too – but I tend to only use it one to 2 times a week in going slowly with this.

Jill

Thanks for explaining that, Jill. I wondered how you’d cope with the sweat and lying down like that. I wonder if the infra-red rays can penetrate the towel, but I suppose you could roll onto your belly if needed, too?

Think you’re very wise to take it as slow as you need….everyone is different in what they can tolerate – SDers should probably approach this much more slowly as they can be slow to sweat out toxins. I’m such an exuberant nut, I have a tendency to over-do and need to rein myself in, so don’t go by my bad example above. 😳

cavalier
    Participant

For me the proximity to the heat is more intense with this blanket than the walk in booth type as in the walk in type many folks sit with a towel around them & they still sweat around that area that is covered.
    I dont find the towel hinders compared to my shoulders etc.

I had trouble sweating at 1st in either unit I did but not as much as I do now, that is better since the IV therapy so it really is a heavier sweat now that is one thing I noticed.

Best – Jill SD & now Saracoidosis to add to the list

cavalier
    Participant

Oops Sarcoidosis sorry – Jill

A Friend
    Participant

😳 @Maz wrote:

@A Friend wrote:

Maz,
    I may have overlooked this when reading your post about your using the FIR, and am wondering what kind of replacement minerals, etc. you use during the sauna and after getting out of it.

AF, I usually use Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts mixed in a glass of warm filtered water after the sauna, but I also drink two full glasses of water while in the sauna.

I’m not sure whether or not Tri-Salts would be recommended for SD patients with the calcium content?

http://www.needs.com/product/Ecological_Formulas_Tri_Salts_200/b_Ecological_Formulas

I seem to recall others here have used Alka Seltzer Gold:

http://alkaseltzer.com/as/as_gold.html

Can you add anything of help from Dr. S. Roger’s recommendations?

Maz, I had to go digging, but didn’t find a “short version written to myself”. However, a search found this link which probably will give the readers more than they want to know. 😳 Me when I’ve just gotten out of the sauna!
    http://lifestylelaboratory.com/articles/rogers-protocols.html

I’m sure there are any number of recommendations for replenishing nutrients lost after sauna-ing. If I find a stored page with optional things, I’ll return later and paste them here.

AF

Maz
    Keymaster

@A Friend wrote:

Maz, I had to go digging, but didn’t find a “short version written to myself”. However, a search found this link which probably will give the readers more than they want to know. 😳 Me when I’ve just gotten out of the sauna!
    http://lifestylelaboratory.com/articles/rogers-protocols.html

I’m sure there are any number of recommendations for replenishing nutrients lost after sauna-ing. If I find a stored page with optional things, I’ll return later and paste them here.

AF, thanks for taking the time to find this link, which is TERRIFIC! I enjoyed the read and it provided a lot of valuable sauna dos/don’ts that any sauna user could do well to read and take heed. A good one to bookmark. Thank you. πŸ™‚

Krys
    Participant

Maz, can you please explain why FIR sauna is contraindicated for MS? And whether it would also apply to neuro-Lyme?

I wanted to buy the sauna over a year ago and then I read your mention that people with MS should not use it. So I decided not to get it.
    I’ve never been diagnosed with MS, but I have never sought the diagnosis knowing that neurological Lyme can present with many of MS symptoms. Last few months the urge to buy it is back, but I would not want to hurt my brain any further with something that is great for most people but may not be beneficial for me.
    Thanks a lot, Krys

Maz
    Keymaster

@Krys wrote:

Maz, can you please explain why FIR sauna is contraindicated for MS? And whether it would also apply to neuro-Lyme?

I wanted to buy the sauna over a year ago and then I read your mention that people with MS should not use it. So I decided not to get it.
    I’ve never been diagnosed with MS, but I have never sought the diagnosis knowing that neurological Lyme can present with many of MS symptoms. Last few months the urge to buy it is back, but I would not want to hurt my brain any further with something that is great for most people but may not be beneficial for me.

Hi Krys,

In the case of MS, it was recently discovered (Paulo Zamboni, an Italian researcher/physician) that these folks have what is called, “chronic cerebral spinal venous insufficiency” (CCSVI, for short)…in other words, they have stenosis of the major veins coming from the brain and also in the chest (possibly in other parts of the body, too). The inability of blood to return to the heart and lungs leaves iron-rich blood pooling in the brain. Interestingly, it’s long been known that iron is toxic to MSers and that these patients had high levels of it in their brain, but no one knew why. It is believed that this iron-overloading in the brain then crosses the blood/brain barrier and is what leads to neurological inflammation and, thus, brain and nerve sclerosis (scarring). MSers probably have a hard time tolerating heat of any kind due to the “heady,” whoozy feeling it produces as blood is unable to escape from the brain in the normal way.

The interesting thing is that Dr.K., the well-known LLMD, has stated that he:

http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/242-a-deep-look-beyond-lyme

“…has seen CCSVI in 100% of his tested MS patients, autism patients, Parkinson’s patients, ALS patients, and Lyme patients.”

There is a procedure that Zamboni, a vascular surgeon, designed to open stenosed veins in MS patients and he has been having pretty miraculous results. Multi-center trials are now being conducted all over Canada and the US, but MSers don’t want to wait for this procedure, which needs to be done by an interventional radiologist, and so they are traveling to clinics all over the world that are offering it, at great cost. Meanwhile, neurologists are trying to rein patients in from having the procedure, saying it’s dangerous and experimental, while MS patients are wanting some quality of life back and willing to accept these relatively small risks. What has been found is that while the procedure is offering immense palliative gains to MSers, some patients are re-stenosing, meaning that it is now becoming clear that opening stenosed veins is only one piece of this very complex puzzle…much as heart disease is more than just re-opening clogged arteries. While no physician would stop a heart patient having surgery to clean away sclerosed arteries, however, MSers claim that while CCSVI may not be curative, it is giving them back some quality of life.

Question is…what is causing those stenosed veins in the first place? Well, it’s more than likely inflammation and where there is inflammation there is usually a microbial culprit….as Dr. K. says here:

“Once the balloon procedure is done to open up the veins, if Lyme is under-treated and vascular inflammation is still present, the CCSVI will reverse and re-stenose.”

It’s worth reading the full link above, but you will find Dr. K.’s insights on CCSVI at the “A Deep Look at Lyme” Conference that was held last May in the 5th section as summarized by the “Better Health Guy,”

Krys, as always, I wouldn’t want to lead you wrong, but your LLMD should be able to offer good insight on whether or not you would be a good candidate at this stage for using a FIR sauna. He may even suggest that you see a radiologist to have your veins checked out to see if you have any stenosis that may need addressing as per Dr. K’s guidelines.

You’ll find lots of great sites on CCSVI and here is just one interview with the lovely, humble Dr. Paulo Zamboni on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJXhs20wxY

Hope that helps?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.