Home Forums General Discussion destructive arthropathy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Silvia
    Participant

hello everyone,

I am new to AP, I just started minocycline about a week ago, and judging from the information from other members I have a while to go before I see any results, no problem, I'm prepared to wait.  I've had RA for about 7 years, with an unusual presentation, first as palindromic RA, with involvement mainly in my wrists, then one shoulder, then both feet.  About 2-3 years ago it settled in only my right foot.  It has caused a destructive arthropathy in multiple joints in my midfoot.  It is visible on Xrays, as severe erosion and loss of joint space.  Needless to say I'm in constant pain, I used to be a runner, now I can hardly walk around the block!  I've been on methotrexate, Arava and Enbrel, with no results.  My question to everyone is has anyone experienced a similar situation to mine, where there was destruction of bone/joint and after AP treatment they felt less pain, or even any improvement in the Xray results?  I hope this is the case, as I doubt that any other conventional medicine can help at this point, and the only other consideration would be to surgically fuse the affected joints.  Best wishes to all who are on this road!!  Silvia

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I asked Dr. T a similar question when I met him as I have definite damage…no need for the xray to see the damage…you can see it a mile away.

Anyhow, he told me that Minocycline has properties that prevent erosions.   Other doctors have of course told me that that is not possible.

I'm sticking to what he says for me as I know of others taking the big drugs that have still had damage.

Good luck with your erosions.  I'm eager to find out if the damage can be reversed too.

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Silvia
    Participant

thanks whaleharbor for your reply.  I'm also hoping to see some results here.  I don't expect that the current erosions will reverse themselves, but at least if the inflammation settles I should experience less pain. 

I've read up on research being done currently where they inject stem cells into the damaged joint space which then convert themselves into synovium and cartilage cells.  I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for that if all else fails!  thanks again, take care, Silvia

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Silvia,

The thing that scares me the most is joint damage in my neck…which could lead to all sorts of unthinkable problems.  Save that, I really don't think I care…everything else can be operated on or tolerated…God help us.

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ destructive arthropathy’ is closed to new replies.