Home Forums General Discussion Dealing with bone spurs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Im little over a year into AP and have seen fantastic improvements in all areas of my health relative to before I started.

However, a few months ago I noticed pain pop up in a specific joint in a specific finger and just would not go away.

Now I look at that joint and it looks like the bone is lumpy there. Its sore in a sharp way that is different from the pain I associate with the joint inflammation from before. I think it’s a bone spur. (I plan on getting an x-ray soon to comfirm).

Does anyone else have bone spurs and if so is there anything that can be done to make them go away?

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Pinkmoth
    I have a bone spur in my right knee (confirmed by x-ray). I think it has drifted or broken and possibly damaged some cartilage or other tissue after an excruciating episode 3 months ago. I am seeing a really good orthopaedic surgeon tomorrow and will report back on his opinion after that.
    Bone spurs are often the body’s response to the wearing away of cartilage as a kind of “answer” to the problem – hence it is often a feature of osteoarthritis. They also grow where there has been local inflammation or tendonitis. Surgery is an answer – though is not always recommended and the bone spurs nearly always grow back if there is lack of cartilage there . Conventionally, there is no known non-surgical treatment. However, you will find some alternative information online on the use of apple cider vinegar topically to help draw out excess calcium from the bone.I don’t know of anyone who has tried this so have no idea whether it is useful

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Pinkmoth
    Don’t think I’m going to be able to be much help to you. Apparently I have multiple bone spurs and bony pads that have grown in both knees. Full replacement is all that’s on the table, arthroscopy not an option, so any discussion about that didn’t ensue. If you have an x-ray that confirms a bone spur in your finger, it will probably depend on which finger and how much it is debilitating as to whether surgical removal is an option for you. Good luck!

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Lynnie,
    Thanks a bunch for replying with the update. Do you know if you hypothetically did the surgery for removal, if they would grow back?

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Pinkmoth
    I think the answer it ‘it depends’. They wont generally after joint replacement but they can if excised as part of arthroscopic removal. There’s a good discussion about this topic here

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.