Home Forums General Discussion Cytokine Storm and Covid-19 Coronavirus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

So I know the whole theory of antibiotic protocol is that scleroderma is caused by a mycoplasma rather than an autoimmune disorder. But all this talk of cytokine storm with respect to the covid-19 coronavirus has me a bit spooked. Are we at greater risk of this cytokine storm? And should we refrain from things like Vitamin C and Zinc so as not to provoke an cytokine storm if we do get the virus?

PhilC
    Participant

Someone sent this to me today:

== The following substances may be best to avoid during a pandemic ==

Elderberry juice (Sambucol) – Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 Bird Flu virus. Increases in these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med Journal 2002 Nov4: 944-6)

Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) – Increases production of cytokine TNF-a (Pubmed PMID 11731916)

Honey – Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID12824009)

Chocolate – Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)

Echinacea – Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1 (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)

Kimchi – Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID15630182)

Dairy Products & Bananas – These foods increase mucous production.

———-

The person who sent that did the research back during the H5N1 epidemic.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

In addition to Phil’s pointers, I found this webpage interesting and helpful in breaking things down and worth discussion with one’s doctor. Scleroderma is a Th2 dominant disease, whereas RA is a Th1 dominant disease and this makes a difference in what may be harmful or helpful to take, according to this author (who is not a medical professional but a nutrition counselor):

COVID-19 and Autoimmune Disease

redrock
    Participant

This line is interesting: “It’s common in my practice for some autoimmune patients to say they have not had a cold or flu in five to 10 years, even though their heightened immune activity may exacerbate autoimmune attacks against tissue.”

i went 20 years without a cold and 35 years without the flu before i went on AP!

redrock
    Participant

Okay I’ve read the whole thing and the general consensus seems to be that there is no clear answer really! Except for the recommendation against a lot of Vitamin C. That’s interesting. I’m involved in the high-dose vitamin C community and normally take about 4-5 grams a day. Many proponents have touted reports from China and other countries that have had good success with intravenous Vit C, so i don’t know. i think i won’t change anything from my current regime and just hope for the best.

Linda L
    Participant

They tell us here not to wear masks if you are not sick. Same with vitamin C. You cannot purchase any of them. I had flue-like symptoms some days ago, temperature 37.3 C, changed voice. I increased my vitamin C immediately and I am OK now. It is strange that all those supplements increase our immune system and in that article it is said to avoid them It is because they aren’t available in the pharmacies and they cannot explain why.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

redrock
    Participant

They tell us here not to wear masks if you are not sick.

Who is “they?” That makes no sense. Even a makeshift cloth mask will reduce the level of inoculum that you are exposed to and thus reduce viral load. I’ve been wearing a mask if i leave my apartment for over a month.

Linda L
    Participant

Our media in Australia tell us not to wear a mask if you aren’t sick. There are interviews with the health officials and they say so. I fully agree with you Redrock. We are doing same. We cannot buy masks anywhere, so we use a scarf or a cloth mask. Unfortunately few people wear masks here. We cannot buy disinfectants as well.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Spiffy1

Yes, the CDC here in the US assured us we didn’t need masks and they could even make things worse. Now of course they have changed their minds now that all the masks are gone. We are scrapping for such things now.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

redrock
    Participant

Yes, the CDC here in the US assured us we didn’t need masks and they could even make things worse. Now of course they have changed their minds now that all the masks are gone. We are scrapping for such things now.

They did that so as to keep the supply available for medical workers. I wish they had just told us at that time to create our own masks. Probably could have prevented a lot of infection! Luckily I bought an N95 long before they became scarce. But I still never leave my home!

Spiffy1

You are precisely right. And my husband looked through through the garage and found two n 95 masks. We are saving them for a special occasion!!!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.