Home Forums General Discussion Covid and RA

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Which generic do you take, Phil?

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

PhilC
    Participant

Which generic do you take, Phil?

I am taking Torrent capsules, 50 mg. I like 50 mg capsules because they give me a little more dosing flexibility.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Continuing to document for us all:
    Lest anyone think that “the road back” is easy, it’s not. RA is not for the faint of heart and getting through the seesaw of herxing/flaring/whatevering ain’t easy.

I made it back to remission twice before…setting my sights on thrice even though today is a very bad day.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

PhilC
    Participant

I made it back to remission twice before…setting my sights on thrice even though today is a very bad day.

What did you eat yesterday? The reason I ask is that I’ve noticed that when I suddenly feel noticeably worse, it’s usually because of something I ate the previous day (or earlier in the day). For example, I go for a walk every day, and some days I notice that my left hip and lower back hurt. After this happened several times, I realized that it only happens when I ate Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup the night before. And it’s only Campbell’s that does this; the other brands of chicken noodle soup that I’ve tried (so far) aren’t a problem.

Like you, I also had a flare up of symptoms after recovering from COVID-19. However, there was something else going on that took me months to figure out — I’d developed an allergy to grapes. After I completely eliminated all grape products from my diet, the stiffness in my hands and feet greatly subsided.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Like you, I also had a flare up of symptoms after recovering from COVID-19. However, there was something else going on that took me months to figure out

Very interesting…I did a whole elimination thing years and years ago when the RA started and I could never figure out any cause. This waxing and waning of symptoms is similar to what I went through in the past as I progressed to remission. However, I think this is really good advice. COVID could have caused some weirdo change and/or any one of us can get an allergy to anything at any time. I’ll keep a food diary and see if I can see some kind of pattern. Thank you so much for letting me know about that. I’ll report back here for us all one way or the other. I’m leaving no stone unturned.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Continuing to document for any and all interested: The Zydus brand of Minocycline continues to keep me on the right path. Like before…there is a waxing and waning of symptoms…but overall, the really really really bad days are lessening and the bad days aren’t as bad. I’m not where I need to be, but I’m not anywhere near where I was. Having traveled down this road before (twice) I know it takes time. But at least things seem to be continuing in the right direction. For those wondering, I take 100mg Minocycline every OTHER day with a full meal. I don’t worry about if there’s calcium or iron or anything with that meal. I understand that’s no “ideal” but it’s what has gotten me into remission before and what is working for me now. “Your mileage may vary.”

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Well, it’s been quite a wild ride on this third “road back” y’all…but still I persist.
    Am I better than I was in say February or March (ish)…yes…way way way better. As I think back to the hard mornings and days.
    However, I have had many stops and starts and waxing and waning symptoms that have been very very very tough. Both times prior I had the benefit of prednisone. This time, I have not. My choice, but still.
    Recently, on a search here, I realized that I posted prior about chamomile tea and how much it helped me. I had totally forgotten about it.
    I keep it in the house for tummy aches etc…but to be honest, I don’t hate the taste but I don’t like it much either.
    Long story short, I’ve started drinking a cup after dinner at night.
    You guys…HUGE difference…HUGE…just as I noted on this board before. HUGE. I even forgot one day because I got busy and I started hurting again.
    I do believe in checking everything out with one’s doctor etc…so if you’re stuck…you run this by your doctor to see what they say. My doc gave me the green light. I think he thinks I’m nuts and that this won’t work…but whatever.
    For me, I can’t even finish one cup because I sorta don’t like it that much…but I get in what I can.
    Anyhow, overall, the progress is really really really slow but there is progress indeed and hopefully with the addition of the chamomile tea …even if it is the placebo effect…will help.
    FYI…do Google Chamomile and Rheumatoid and you’ll see evidence of it’s purported benefits.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

So I’m feeling much much much better. Am I “back” yet? No…but significantly better. I also had labs done recently. Some good news, some not.
    Sed rate was normal at 9
    CRP was high at 18.9

However, no anemia or any other weird stuff that I’ve had in the past with the RA…so there’s that.
    Not gonna lie, pretty bummed about the CRP.
    I’m not sure how high that is for me as my prior doctor and I had an agreement that I was on a “need to know basis” because I tend to freak out over the numbers.
    Since he’s retired the new doc (a nurse practitioner who basically fights me but gives me what I need, somehow) has access only to records going back about 2 years…when things were “pretty normal” for me. I have records via Quest going back to 2014 and the highest CRP then was over 12…however, I’ve had RA for 33 years and the early years were horrible…so there’s no telling how bad it was back in the day.

So…I’m better. Perhaps this flare is coming to an end and I’m closer to regaining myself. I feel as if I am…but I also know that I’m not “there” yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.